1 | Heart of a Changeling (1/2)

"Seems like you have night duty again, Alan."

The deep and cocky voice owned by no one other than his older brother, Wane, woke him up.

The changeling immediately yelped, shaking his head to gain consciousness. His vision remained blurry until moments later when he seemed to have gotten himself together. Seems like he almost fell asleep again during his shift. Great.

Wane always knew that Alan was a great and loyal changeling, heck he'd die for his queen in any circumstance, but his main weakness? Night shifts, and it seems like it was his unlucky day. Queen Chrysalis had assigned him to night shift for the THIRD NIGHT in a row along with his changeling blood brother, Wane, to maintain the security and safety of the other changelings including the queen of said changelings herself. 

 He locked his narrowed, cyan eyes on Wane, "Dear Chrysalis, I hope I survive by morning."

"I am not that annoying, Alan, stop being so grumpy. Maybe I should've left you knocked out so Queen Chrysalis could see your state by morning and kick you out." Wane rolled his eyes, flipping his hair majestically as he had a humorous tint to his voice. Playful yet annoying sibling, as always.

"Anyways," Alan groaned, kicking a pebble at the other changeling before continuing to speak, "How's food rationing going?"

Wane arched an eyebrow at the pebble that rolled towards him, stopping it with his hoof before shooting an ugly snarl at his blood brother. He proceeded to kick the pebble back as he gave a reply, "Not great, those stinking ponies are taking our meals. Can't even eat a fruit or two without Queen Chrysalis ordering us to give it to the prisoners."

Alan grunted and kicked the pebble towards nowhere, his eyes boring onto the only source of entertainment in the bleak of darkness. The moon and his horn that was only able to produce so little magic were the only light given to defend the home of the changelings, so of course the two would be stuck with playing soccer using little, quiet pebbles.

"Sometimes I just want to choke those damn ponies and suck all the love out of them, maybe then Queen Chrysalis will realize we should go for more significant ponies instead of crappy ones who won't say a single word." Alan sighed deeply, glancing at his brother before looking at the moon that shimmered down on the two changelings.

Wane chuckled, attempting to create an additional source of light using his horn. A little spark of neon green magic was able to slightly light up the spot he was standing in. When he felt like he couldn't create any more, he spoke, "Unfortunately, we can't question our Queen. She created us and she knows what's best for us. There are some things I dislike that she's done, but what do you think we can do? Create some secret anti-changeling army and attack her?"

Alan immediately leaped onto his hooves, making his wings flutter as he let out a hiss, "Brother, have you gone crazy? I'm not ever going to go against Queen Chrysalis no matter what, you can go ahead and make your anti-whatever army and I'll still defeat you hoof-to-hoof."

"Relax, relax, I was just playing around. Alan, you need to stop being such as a porcupine and actually take a joke for once. They always literally fly over your head. You think I'd actually go and start a riot?" The other changeling raised his hand up in defeat while scoffing, swatting at Alan in a playful manner.

"Yeah, yeah whatever, let's go and actually focus on our duties." Alan grumbled, raising a hoof as he made his ears flicker. 

The two changelings headed on over to a certain room labeled 'The Armory'. Once they entered, torches could be seen hanging around the room to ensure it never got too dark. Finally, a place where it isn't nearly pitch black.