Chapter 6

It's been about a week since I have talked to Lucas. Every time he comes to sit with us at lunch, I'd move. I told Riley and Farkle what happened. They've been trying all week to get me to talk to him. I don't know why Riley is so on board with this. Lucas is her boyfriend, not mine. She should be the one trying to make peace, not trying to get us to be best friends.

There is a talent show this Friday and we all have to be there. It's mandatory. Which is ridiculous.

Anyways, everyone was in the gym setting up for the talent show, and Riley and I were talking about her and Lucas.

"So, Missy said that you two kissed behind the locker rooms yesterday," I said.

Riley laughed. "No, that is not true."

"You wish it was though," I stated. It was a bit annoying talking about Lucas and Riley. I would prefer to talk about Lucas and I.

We were almost done talking when a new kid, Jake Holdon, comes up to me and Riley.

"Hey Maya. I was wondering if you and I could get a coffee or something this weekend?" Jake asked.

"Oh um..." I was caught off guard. I don't want to go out with him.

I was about to say no when Lucas, who came up from behind us, said, "hey buddy."

"Hey cowboy," Jake waved. I crossed my arms. Only I can call him that. But then again, I am still mad at him.

"Haha funny. Don't call me that." Lucas faked a smile. "Anyways, Maya's busy this weekend...so bye." Lucas fake-friendly waved at him. Jake slowly turned around and walked away.

"Lucas!" I exclaimed. "What was that for? You had no right to do that."

"You weren't going to go out with him anyways," Lucas said. "I have to talk to you." Then, he grabbed my arm and tried to drag me out into the hall. I looked at Riley for help.

She just smiled and said, "just hear what he has to say. He might surprise you."

I sighed and let Lucas drag me out into the hallways.

When we were in the hall, I leaned against the lockers, while Lucas stood a few feet in front of me. "Why did you do that?" I asked.

"I have to tell you something," Lucas said.

"What?"

"I have to tell Riley I don't feel the same about her," Lucas said. He looked so upset. Why was he telling me this? He should be telling Riley.

"What! You can't. Your going to break her heart. And not even for a good reason," I said. Well it was a good reason, but I had nothing else to say.

Why did Riley say he might surprise me? I thought. She couldn't have known about this. This was going to break her heart. I hated the thought of a heart-broken Riley.

"But I do have a reason Maya," he said.

"What?" I repeated.

"This is my reason." Lucas stepped up to me. He then did something that surprised me. I never would have guessed this.

Lucas kissed me.