10. Apologies

Olivia's POV

"What? That's so amazing, D? I'm so happy to hear how well you're doing. And I miss you so—-so much!" I say. "I'm coming to visit tomorrow!"

"Was that Darnell?" Simone asks as I hang up and the hostess escorts us to our dinner table.

"He sounds so good on the phone," I say excitedly and she hugs me. "I swear I can't believe how far he's come these past few weeks."

"He's strong, Liv! And God protects his strong ones. Yes, you were afraid. Hell, we all were. But you never gave up and you damn sure didn't lose faith!" She says and I smile as I wipe my happy tears away.

"Girl, what's going on?" I hear Nate say as he walks over and sits across from us and Layla does the same.

"Yeah, what's wrong? Do we have to beat Spencer's ass?" Layla asks before the waitress takes our order.

"She just got off of the phone with Darnell," Simone answers excitedly.

"What happened?" Nate asks and I smile.

"He's sitting up and eating on his own. Y'all this is great news." I shout and they cheer loud enough to make the restaurant stare.

After we celebrate, we make small talk and I sit quietly as I think about returning home in less than an hour.

I've truly made the best of my extended weekend with my friends, despite being on 'not-so-good' terms with Spencer. And honestly, I don't know what to expect when I get home.

"Girl, you got fries just to sit there and get cold," Layla says as my phone lights up from a call.

"Look who decided to put his big boy underwear on," Simone says as she peeps over my shoulder at my phone.

"Girl, don't let him ruin your good news about Darnell! Deal with him later." Nate suggests.

"Are you really not going to pick up?" Simone asks and I shrug.

"We'll be home in like thirty minutes," I respond nonchalantly. "Besides, I tried calling, texting, and face timing him plenty of times these past couple of days. And he always had an excuse as to why he couldn't talk."

"C'mon, you know Spencer is the baby of the family. As soon as shit doesn't go his way, he throws a little fit because he's used to everybody catering to him. And as his girlfriend, you're his biggest caterer." Simone tells me.

"Not true," I say and Layla looks away while sipping from her glass. "Really, Lay?"

Nate and Simone both laugh.

"Girl, let's not! Everyone knows you cater to that man. We're talking five star meals for your man. And that's okay. Just not right now." Nate follows and I roll my eyes before chuckling.

"I mean, I get why he's upset. And even though I don't agree with him not wanting to talk about it, there's no doubt in my mind we will work through it."

"Spencer's lucky you don't know any better," Nate adds and everyone laughs as I give him the middle finger playfully.

"Okay! Ease up, Nate!" Simone says seriously.

"Spencer's my first——- pretty much everything. But I'm not naive." I say hesitantly and they laugh harder in sarcasm. "You know what? Forget y'all!"

"I think what Nate is trying to say is you shouldn't let him off of the hook easily," Simone comments and I bite down on my bottom lip in thought.

"Yeah girl! Try not to be all 'dickmatized' when y'all talk," Nate adds and I can hear the snickers from my friends.