Thanks Mom

Charlotte took another sip from her usual Mocha Latte, happily chatting with her friends.

Everyone was enjoying their early lunch break, having some of the normal shitty coffee at Beanies. Paul mostly stayed by the counter, chatting with Emma as she made coffee for everyone else. Ted was sipping his Chai iced tea, Melissa was drinking a regular latte, and Bill was just drinking normal coffee with cream and sugar.

Piper was sitting with them, waiting to start their work shift in about an hour. Although, something seemed a bit... off.

Constant coughing, scratchy voice, sniffling, complaining about body aches.

"Are you sure you're alright? You really don't sound well.." Charlotte spoke up after a little while, starting to feel a little concerned.

"Eh, I'm fine. Probably." Piper took a sip of tea, clearing her throat. "Just a small cold most likely. I can push through, besides I have work soon-" A loud, gross cough interrupted them, as they buried their face into their arm.

"Um, ew Lovelock!" Harper said from afar, clearly disgusted. Piper rolled her eyes, clearing her throat again.

"Yeah, a cold. Sure. And Bill isn't an old man." Ted snickered, earning a look from Bill.

"Listen here you little shit-"

Charlotte nearly spat out her coffee, coughing a couple times. "Sorry- wrong hole." She grabbed a napkin, hiding her laughter.

"Jeez, is everyone getting sick suddenly?" Emma appeared at the table with Paul, confused on why Melissa was giggling so much, why Charlotte was choking on coffee, and why Ted and Bill were staring at each other.

"No no, Bill just said something that got us completely off guard." Ted took another sip of his tea, holding back a smirk. Emma simply nodded, before turning her attention to her roommate.

"Thought I should let you know. Nora doesn't want you working today."

"What! Why?"

Emma gave them a look. "Have you heard what you sound like? You sound like a dying cat." And with that, she left the group alone to chat, leaving Paul as well. Piper groaned, letting their head fall onto the table.

"Fuck."

"Eh, you may as well go back home. No point in staying." Bill suggested.

"I wanted to work."

Charlotte hummed, deep in thought. If Piper was going home, they'd be walking alone, since Emma is currently working and can't drive them back. Someone who's sick and waking home alone didn't sit right with her at all. "W-well, I can walk you home if that helps! I know you'd prefer working and all, but it's not exactly a great idea to push your body to do that when you're sick."

Piper lifted their head off the table. "You'd do that?"

Charlotte smiled, nodding. "Of course! Anything for a friend. Besides, you walking home by yourself doesn't sit right with me, and I don't want you sitting here waiting for Emma all day to finish her shift."

"Do you even know how to get there? Not to mention if you're walking it's going to take longer. Our lunch breaks aren't that long." Paul asked, tapping his coffee cup with his fingers.

"Well, technically it's about a 10 or 15 minute walk depending on how fast you're going. Emma prefers driving to save energy." Piper coughed again, putting her head back onto the cold table.

"And yes, I know my way there. It's not my first visit."

"She has a point." Melissa perked up, pushing her glasses back up her nose. "Both me and Charlotte have been to their apartment before, usually to help Emma with picking a date outfit or Charlotte helping Piper with math."