Like Brothers

*Trigger warning. Minor character death.*

The Enchanted Forest
Many years ago

Killian Jones was running through the woods, waving a stick around as a sword. The little boy wasn't looking where he was going and before he knew it he was falling.

Killian found himself in a hole with no way out. His father and brother had no idea where he was, they wouldn't know where to look for him.
Suddenly a face appeared from up above.
"Hold on, I'll be right back."

A while had passed and Killian was sure that the boy he had seen had forgotten about him. But then he appeared again, he was holding a rope.
The boy tied the rope tightly around a tree before throwing the other end down.
"You're gonna have to climb!"

Killian held on tightly to the rope and began to climb. He didn't make it very far before he fell.
"Try again!" The boy said.
Killian wiped his dirty hands on his pants and took hold of the rope again, determined to make it out. He started to climb. He could feel himself slipping, and he held on tighter. He was almost there.
"Take my hand. I'll pull you up!" The boy said.
Killian wasn't sure he could trust the boy, but then again the boy had just helped him.
Killian let go of the rope with his right hand and held it out. He started to slip and he was sure he was going to fall when he felt a hand grab his. The boy pulled and Killian climbed up.

The boy fell back and Killian fell beside him.
"I'm Gael!" The boy panted as he sat up and held a hand out to Killian.
Killian took the boys hand.
"Killian." He said. "Killian Jones."

Killian and Gael sat beneath the tree eating berries.
"How did ya fall in the hole?" Gael asked, mouth full with berries.

Killian chewed and swallowed before saying "I didn't see where I was going."

Killian looked up at the sky. It was getting dark and his dad would wonder where he was.
"I have to go. My dad and brother will wonder where I am." Liam said as he stood up.

Gael looked disappointed. "Will I see you again?" He asked.

Killian shrugged. "I don't see why not. Meet me back here tomorrow. I'll come as soon as my chores are done."

Every day for months, the boys met by the tree where Gael had saved Killian's life.
One day Gael appeared to be deep in thought.
"Killian, are we friends?"

Killian looked up from his half eaten sandwich.
"Of course we are."

"Forever?" Gael asked.

Killian nodded. "Forever."

Gael smiled. "Just like brothers."

One night Killian's father woke him up. They were leaving. Killian couldn't help but think about Gael. Would he ever see his friend again?

Many years passed. Killian's father had ended up selling him and his brother to slavery that night, so that he could save himself. It took several years but eventually they escaped.
Killian's only had his brother. After his brother died, he had nobody. He wasn't the same after that. He became a pirate and turned into someone he didn't even recognize.

One day, Killian was at a pub when he saw a few men surrounding another man.
"You're gonna pay for that, Gael." One man said.
Gael. The name sounded familiar to Killian.
"Killian. Are we friends?"
"Of course we are."
"Forever?"
"Forever."
"Just like brothers."

Killian watched as the man drew back a fist, ready to throw a punch.
Killian stood up and walked over to the men, grabbing the man and throwing him into the wall.
One of the other men raised a fist, but Killian was ready.
He fought off all three men.