2

Peter felt awkward, his hands began to shake, and his heart started racing. Standing there was Sam, he had no idea what to feel, all his emotions were starting to bleed into each other after all this time of never seeing anyone from his old life he started to think he wouldn't. He knew he couldn't leave just yet it would be way too awkward and William would know something is off as he still hadn't gotten his sugar-filled, boiling coffee. 

 "Oh Sam this is Peter, Peter this is Sam," William said, "Nice to meet you," Peter said with a slight nod as he reached out his hand. Sam shook it firmly, but not too hard. Sam could tell that something was wrong with him; he just wasn't sure what. Sam knows logically there's a lot wrong with him as he's a homeless child but there's an urge to find out what happened to take him to protect him forever.

"So," Sam began, "What would you fine young men like this morning?" He asked as he leaned over the counter. William looked at Peter and then back to Sam and said, " Ya flatter me and my old bones. I'll take tea with 2 sugars the kid will take a coffee with a shit ton of sugar in there." Sam nodded, "Sure thing, I'll be right back." He turned and walked into the back. Sam quickly grabbed a couple of mugs from the shelf and poured some hot water into each one. Then he reached over to the sugar bowl sitting on the counter next to him and began putting some into Peter's coffee.

"I think we should start cutting down ya sugar intake, Peter. It's bad for your health and I think the people here would appreciate it if you stopped taking their sugar from them." William said as he glanced at Peter over the top of his glasses. "It's not like this place is going to run out of sugar anytime soon, Will," Peter said with a laugh. "Peter, you never know. Maybe this place will run out of sugar." William smiled.

"But that's not why I brought it up." Sam put their cups down on the counter next to him and William. "I don't want ya to deal with diabetes later in life. I want you to be healthy and happy." William looked at Peter, who had stopped laughing now. "I'm sorry, Will," Peter said softly as he took a sip of his coffee, which was still sweetened with sugar. "Talk to me about it if I make it to 25. Actually, no scratch that to ta;k to me about it if you make it to 80, grandpa." He laughed and hit the side of William's body with his own. "HEY respect your elders, that's only a year away you can talk to him when he's 90."

"I'm not even 72 yet."

" Yeah that's because you're a hundred, you can't go back in time."

"I'm not a hundred, Peter." William scoffed but clandestinely smiled.

"Yeah but you're old and bald." William raised his eyebrows at the comment. William laughed and shook his head. "You're a dick." He said as he took a sip of his tea which had cooled down enough to drink now that the sugar was gone.

"We're gonna go and let ya do ya thing now, but we're gonna go and sit back down for a bit though if ya wanna join after you're done." He asked Sam. "Ah would but after this Tony wants me to help him with something," the man behind the counter responded, "It was nice meeting you Peter, I hope to see you soon." Sam gave Peter some quick finger guns and his heart melted into gooey mush when in return Peter gave him a small, quick wave and a smile as bright as cloudless sun shimmering down on a calm ocean. Just who was this kid? Whatever he did he doesn't deserve to be stuck on the streets with a rotten future. Peter was a bright kid, he could be anything he wanted to be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sam entered the gold with skinny red accents elevator along with a gust of chilly winter wind he scanned his si badge so Friday would activate. "Hello Bird brain, what floor shall I take you to."

"Ah, take me to where ever Tony is please," Sam said as the button for the top floor showed a pale baby blue ring around it. The elevator began to ascend through the floors with a soft humming noise. When it reached its destination Sam stepped out and immediately saw Tony, he was sitting at the communal kitchen table with two empty coffee mugs in front of him and another full one next to him.