Chapter 27

Rosé was nearly in hysterics.

Jennie's first order of business was to try and calm her down.  She helped Rosé get dressed, then wrapped her up in some blankets and hugged her tightly.  Pain couldn't even begin to describe how Jennie felt. Rosé was sobbing and shaking in her arms, incoherent words spilling from her mouth.

"Rosie, it's okay, everything is going to be okay... I'm here with you, remember?"  Jennie coaxed in her most soothing voice, trying her best not to let her own voice crack or her own tears escape her eyes.  Truthfully, she wasn't very calm herself, but she forced herself to be. For Rosé's sake.

Jennie quickly assessed the situation.  The door was still closed. Seojoon hadn't returned, yet.  Rosé was sobbing and holding onto Jennie for dear life, but whatever Jennie was doing seemed to be working, because Rosé was able to talk through her tears and hiccups now.

"H- He knows... J- Jennie... H- He's g- going to hit me... a- and we'll have to b- break up... I... don't w- want us to b- break up...!"

God, if only Rosé wasn't here right now, and Jennie could just cry alone for a few hours.  She couldn't stand the weight of reality crashing down upon her unprepared soul, nor the sight of this fragile Rosé who was probably experiencing things a thousand times worse than she was.

"Shh, Rosie, don't worry," Jennie held Rosé closer in her little cocoon of warmth.  Rosé grew weaker from all the crying, resting against Jennie and listening to her steady heartbeat.  "Don't worry about your father. I'll go have a talk with him, and I promise I won't let him near you no matter what.  You don't even have to see him if you don't want to, okay?"

Rosé's crying died down into little sniffles.

"And remember I said I'd stay by your side unless you told me to leave?"  Jennie continued. "I'm still keeping that promise, you know."

Jennie managed to lull Rosé into a light sleep, and she carefully tucked the sheets around her to keep her warm.  The younger had probably exhausted herself from crying so much. Jennie hated leaving her alone in this state, but she urgently needed to speak with Seojoon before things escalated further.

Seojoon was standing right outside the door when Jennie left the room, probably having heard everything in her conversation with Rosé.  But Jennie expected exactly that from someone like him.

"What the fuck is going on, Jennie?  Care to explain? Are you- Are you fucking dating my daughter?"  Seojoon interrogated in a harsh whisper. Well, at least he had the decency to be quiet and not wake Rosé up.

Jennie thought it best to move to a neutral environment for this.  "I know you're angry, you have every right to be. But can we talk about this somewhere else?"

Seojoon and Jennie settled for a compromise, their backyard.  Not exactly neutral like Jennie wanted, but at least a good distance away from Rosé, should anything serious happen.

"Talk," Seojoon demanded.

Jennie admitted everything.  After all, what other choice did she have?  She was backed into a corner, with no possible way she could cover for herself and Rosé.  She knew that Seojoon knew, and any attempt at deflection would only anger him more. He always liked to play mind games.

Once Jennie was finished, Seojoon was positively red in the face with rage.  "You-! You disgust me. I can't take this. It's not even worth my time dealing with you, you know that?  But Rosé is my flesh and blood. I need to beat some sense into her."

Jennie immediately tensed up.  All this was happening too fast for her to process, but her mind's priority was protecting Rosé.  "No, you're not going to do that. I'm not just all talk. You're not going to get to her because I'll never let her leave my sight if that's what it takes to protect her from you.  Hit me if you want but don't you dare lay your hands on her."