The Boy with No Eyes

One night when I was 10, I was woken up by my bedroom door opening, followed by someone sitting on my bed,"  "I felt my leg grazed and the bed sink under a person's weight. It's just Mom, I thought, and I opened my eyes.

"It was not my mom. I found an eyeless boy—he had black, empty sockets—about my age sitting at the foot of my bed. He extended his hand, and in it was a little box. I was startled but reached out. He pulled back. I reached again and said, 'Give it.' Then I blinked, and when I reopened my eyes, he was gone. But I could still see the imprint where he'd sat on my bed.

"Fast-forward five years. My girlfriend came over to do homework. After she finished, she took a nap while she waited for her parents. When they arrived, I tried waking her up. She opened her eyes suddenly, looking up at a corner where the wall met the ceiling. She pointed there and went back to sleep. I shook her again. She came to full consciousness, and I explained what she'd done. She looked haunted. 'Up on the wall, I saw a little boy with no eyes. He was there, in a Spider-Man pose, staring at me.' I freaked out and told her my story about the same kid.

"Fast-forward another five years. I was with the same girlfriend, and we had a 2-year-old. We were living in my parents' house, in my old room. My daughter started waking up at the same time every night, and she'd talk. After a while, I noticed she had almost the same conversation every night. I playfully asked her once whom she was talking to. She said, 'It's a little boy. He's nice. He's lost and looking for his mommy.' My daughter's nightly conversations continued until we got our own place later that year."