The Princes in the Tower

This is the story of two young princes, brothers Edward and Richard, who were imprisoned in the Tower of London to prevent them from becoming king and heir-apparent, respectively. In April 1483, when King Edward IV died, his eldest son, Edward V, who was just 12 years old, briefly became king. Because of his young age, he had a regent appointed. That regent was the young king's uncle. Known as the Duke of Gloucester, this uncle was known to be deeply resentful that the boys even existed. If it weren't for them, he would have been next in the line of succession.

What happened next is shrouded in mystery—indeed, it is one of the strangest . It appears that the young king and his brother (Richard, the Duke of York) were kidnapped and locked away in the Tower of London, after which the Duke of Gloucester declared himself King Richard III. The two young princes were never seen or heard from again, and two small skeletons that were eventually found in the tower are believed to be all that's left of them—other than the ghostly apparitions, that is.

British papers have reported on visitors who claim to have seen the ghostly figures. Is it tabloid fodder or proof of the paranormal? That's for you to decide.