14

Monday (nothing exciting happened on Sunday)

School started again. I saw Manuel. He was hiding his face while walking because everyone was making fun of him. Unfortunately, someone got a recording of the conversation we had on Saturday. Who's making these recordings?

"It's the rapist's child!" "Go home to your father...wait...you don't have a good one!" "Popular fuckboy is now literally a fuckboy!" "Popular kid had sex with his own father! What a horny kid."

That drew the line. Manuel quickly ran to the bathroom after hearing that. A lot of boys followed him to the bathroom. I'm not trying to get involved, plus this is just normal school life in Lynnside. I shouldn't worry about it too much, right?

Today's school lunch looked nasty, so I just went to the vending machine so I could get some snacks. I have football practice today. I saw Manuel sitting with those boys who followed him to the bathroom. He looked VERY uncomfortable. I think one of the guys was touching his thigh and shit. I didn't know if I should help him. He probably doesn't want to talk to me. I kept on staring at him to see if anything bad will happen.

All of a sudden, one of the boys told him to follow him. Manuel agreed. Okay, now that's a bit suspicious. But again, I don't forgive him. I don't know. Ever since I totally shut him out, nobody has talked to him. I feel kind of bad. Finally, he came back to the cafeteria. He looked pretty scared and shaken up. Maybe I should check up on him when I have the chance. The bell rings to signal us that lunch is over. I can catch up with him.

"Manuel!" I said, hoping to catch his attention. He looked back at me and stopped for me to catch up. "Hey Zach. If you're going to tell me how shitty I am, I'm sorry, okay? Please just go on with your life. Don't waste it talking to me." Manuel said. "No, I want to talk to you, not argue or yell. What did those guys do to you? Tell me everything. And don't lie to cover them up." I asked. "They didn't do anything to me. They just teased that's all." Manuel said. He's lying. It's obvious. "I said don't lie." I threatened. "Fine. Just don't say anything. They did the same thing my dad did." He said. My eyes widened. "It's okay though. I deserve it. It's not a big deal anyway. Don't say anything to Jensen. I already have to go to her office today about bullying. I been through her many times. It just makes it worse." Manuel said.

"What do you mean "you been through her many times" I asked. "I've been in her office numerous times, for different reasons. Mostly about my dad, but some idiot decided to snitch on me because I cut myself. I had to have a strip search on me many times. She promised me no sexual activity. It was all men in the room. They all had turns touching me. It wasn't rape or anything. I couldn't say anything because I don't know their names and people wouldn't believe me anyway." Manuel explained.

Now, I felt selfish myself. I didn't think about Manuel's point of view. What would I do if I were in his shoes? I don't know because I didn't think about him at all. "I'm sorry, Manuel. I messed up." I said. "It's not your fault. It's mine. Sorry for being selfish and whatever you said on Saturday. I promise after today you won't have to see me again." Manuel said. "No, Manuel. Please don't do anything stupid." I said. "Can we talk later? I have to rush to Jensens office. Bye, Z!" He said.

I feel so bad for what I did. What happened to him, really? He started being all depressed ever since the party. I remembered what happened. He saw my arms after I was cutting. Did he get triggered? He also never told me why he and Nadiya had to get involved in the conversation we were gonna have. He looked fine. If this is my fault, then why is he not taking his anger out on me anymore? I think I should really talk to him outside of school. I am worried. I was so selfish, not thinking about what goes through this mind when I yelled at him.

After school was over, I went straight to Jensen's office to look for Manuel. "Principal Jensen!" I said. "Yes, Zacharie? Everything alright?" She said. "Where is Manuel?" I asked. "I'm not sure, he never came when I asked him to. If you do find him, please inform him to come to my office first thing tomorrow morning." Principal Jensen said. "Okay." I said. Why is he not here? Where did he go? I went on my phone and texted him.

Z: Manuel? Where are you?
M: no where don't worry abt it
Z: im going to call you
M: no kid, leave me alone don't talk to me
Z: my bad geez

Damn, he really didn't want to see me. However, this doesn't seem like something Manuel would say. Maybe someone had his phone? I guess I shouldn't worry about it so much, right? I hope he's okay. I need to go to Nadiya to speak to her now.

"Nadiya!" I said as I saw her walking out of school. "Zacharie? What do you need?" She asked. "I know you guys aren't on talking terms, but I need you, me, Ben, and Walton to check up on Manuel. Please, Nadiya." I asked desperately. "I don't know... it will be awkward." She said. "I don't fucking care, Nadiya. He was your lover. You just didn't understand him. You didn't take the time to really have a full discussion with him. Who cares if it's awkward? At least you tried. He told me that he was been going through some really hard things like rape and seeing his abuser and stuff like that. He needs you. Fuck Max." I explained to Nadiya.

Nadiya sighed.

"Get in the car. Let's go get Ben and Walton."