Magic Lamps and Rusty Claws

Proteus is known as the engine in the hills, who lived a short life and died young. His story has been told around to all the engines on Sodor. He fell off a bridge and plunged into the river below to his death, his remains were never found. Legend had it that he came back to life, and was given a magical lamp on his smokebox. Anyone who saw it would be granted one wish. "That's just a myth." said Bertram. Skarloey had just finished telling the story to Smudger, the rebellious, young, green narrow gauge engine. Smudger had asked about the bronze statue of Proteus that stood firmly on the plinth Peter Sam recently found. "I knew that fool for years," said Bertram. "Duke and I saw him fall. He didn't turn into some fairytale creature. He's dead and that's that." Duke and Skarloey were brothers that came from Wales to Sodor along with their cousin, Bertram. When they first arrived on the railway, they worked with Proteus. Bertram never treated Proteus with respect, and Duke would be influenced by the behavior. Together, Duke and Bertram tormented Proteus everyday, until he had enough. By then, Proteus was fleeing, but he didn't make it across the old iron bridge. "If you're going to spit out nonsense, Skarloey," said Bertram. "Do it somewhere else." Bertram's driver switched the points on the track. "Come on Smudger. It's late." said Bertram. Smudger slowly turned his wheels, and followed Bertram back to the yards.

                On the other side of the island, near Vicarstown, the diesels lived in the old, rusted dieselworks. The ground below was a dun color. It's been a day since Diesel 10's presumed accident. The diesels were still waiting for their leader to come back, but ever since he went out on his quest to destroy all the steam engines on Sodor, he hasn't been seen since. "Where could he be?" asked Paxton. Diesel inched his wheels close to Paxton. "Ten shouldn't have gone," said Diesel. "I told him! Those steamies can never be trusted." Arry and Bert, the twin diesels, entered the shed. "About time," said Diesel turning to the twins. "Any news now?" Arry and Bert looked at each other and they both were hesitant to speak. "No, Diesel," said Arry. "Nothing yet." Diesel grunted and pushed his way through the twins, slightly scratching their paint jobs. "All of you are useless!" yelled Diesel. "I'll look for him myself!" Diesel treaded off with the usual demented look on his face.

                 On the east side of the island, near Tidmouth, was the old iron bridge. Below it a large dark boat was floating through the river. The water seemed iridescent to the eyes of the large diesel stuck in the boat. "What a terrible day." said Diesel 10 disgruntly. Diesel 10 was on the boat for five hours already. It was a miracle it didn't sink with the weight of a diesel engine. The current of the river was moving at a very slow pace. As the river was flowing closer to the right, where the rocks were, Diesel 10 could feel a sense of sanctity. He didn't know what it was, but he could see the mist and fog forming up ahead. A portion of track was becoming visible along the river bank. "Huh?" said Diesel 10 in confusion. Deep in the fog, Diesel 10 spotted something glowing a bright yellow. The light appeared to grow closer to him, until the silhouette of a small steam engine appeared. Diesel 10 heard the sound of pistons, and that's when he realized he wasn't imagining things. Then he heard a very hushed voice. "Hello, do you need help off that boat, sir?" asked the engine. Diesel 10's face paled with fear. "Wh-what?" stuttered Diesel 10.

                 The small engine neared closer until he was fully visible. He was a stubby, yellow narrow gauge engine. The noticeable bright lamp on his smokebox flickered a bit, it looked very old. His face looked soft and gentle, yet tired, almost dead. "Need help?" asked the yellow engine again. Diesel 10 turned his eyes away. "A steamie..." grunted Diesel 10. "No! I don't need help!" The boat was drifting away, but the yellow engine was following the direction it was heading. "Are you sure?" asked the small engine again. "Yes I'm sure!" yelled Diesel 10. "I can get off this myself!" With the little oil Diesel 10 had left, he turned his wheels which caused the boat to sway. It swayed so much it flipped over. Now, Diesel 10 was in the water. "Ah!" shouted Diesel 10. "Help!" He was starting to sink into the water. Pretty soon, Diesel 10 was starting to black out.