Prologue

Then

There were no sounds from the cabins the night of the fire. The children slept safe and sound in their bunks, itching for morning to roll around for another day of fun. That was the goal of Camp Black Lake. To bring children in from all around the country and provide a summer that would be unforgettable and create life-long memories and friendships.

But none of that would happen. Those children were not given a chance.

The silence that eerily lingered over the camp did not last throughout the night. The mist that had settled over the lake would be disturbed. The car park filled with effervescent parents would instead be filled with red and blue flashing lights.

When he lights the fire, the camp goes up within minutes. The children, groggy in a sleepy haze, don't have enough time to escape the cabins, which are left locked. Soon, the silence is replaced with the screams of innocent kids, and the mist is replaced with a thick black smoke that blocks the full moon. Most of them perish from the smoke, but the unlucky ones have to face the roaring flames, and after ten minutes, the camp is silent.

Silent apart from the crackling of the wood and the screams of the only child to have survived. The screams of a child watching everything he loved turn to ash at his feet. The screams of a child having to grow up too quickly.

The camp would shut, and those screams would echo across the land for the next forty years.