Chapter Five

Wyatt's reveal is so open-ended. It feels like he's intentionally trying to create suspense rather than just telling us about the Walkers like a normal person.

"You think these people started the fire?", Dean asks him.

"I don't think", Wyatt responds. "I know."

Bullshit. There is no possible way he could know this for a fact. The fire was in 1984. Wyatt wouldn't be born for another twenty years or so.

"And how do you know?", Arabella asks him. Wyatt doesn't meet our eyes. Which is strange seeing as he has not yet let us forget his smugness about the topic. Is he embarrassed?

"My parents told me", he informs us sheepishly. Everyone laughs. We came all this way and suffered through his self-righteousness, just for him to tell us about a little Urban Legend his parents told him.

"Okay, whatever", he says, beginning to walk away from the house.

"No, no, come on Wyatt", Levi says, walking after him, still giggling. "What's the story?"

Wyatt stops walking and turns back to us. "You guys clearly don't want to hear about it."

Oh my god, relax. I didn't realise Wyatt was so sensitive.

"Come on, Wyatt", I say, trying my best to sound supportive. "What did the Walkers do?"

"All I'll say is that what happened here wasn't really an accident at all. Apparently."

"That's it?", Robyn asks, sounding genuinely irritated. It's clear Robyn is not as good at masking her emotions as everyone else. But she's right. He intentionally brought us all out here only to tell us absolutely nothing. This house is basically just a useless pile of rubble to all of us. It means nothing and it's not very exciting to look at. But, once again, Wyatt smirks. What is he doing?

"I think that's a story for later", he says with a touch of intrigue. "A good old-fashioned campfire story."

I roll my eyes again. This cliffhanger is so unnecessary. I wasn't even that interested in whatever conspiracy he was going to spout in the first place. Although, even if it is pointless, it's quite effective because now I'm a little curious as to what it is.

"Sounds great, man", Levi says dismissively, before walking away, back towards the camp. We all follow him, Wyatt at the back. I don't think he was ready to lose our attention just yet. We tread back through the trees, stepping over logs and branches until we make it back to the grassy plain. Well, that little detour was a bust.

"Dinner is in two hours", Arabella says. "What are we doing till then?"

I look around the group. Nobody has any ideas and neither do I. Is there anything else to do at a summer camp besides swim and relax? But then it comes to me.

"Levi?", I ask. "Was that your boat on the back of the van?"

He smiles. "My parents. Yeah."

"Do you have any water skis?"

He smiles even wider. Cheekier.