Chapter 2

Chapter Two

Owlpaw

Owlpaw regretted telling the Clan about her visions.

For a few reasons actually.

So yeah, she could see the future. But it wasn't really a connection with StarClan—just being able to tell random omens and have random visions of what may happen.

Plus, now that everyone knew, the Clan seemed to treat her differently—look at her differently. In a way Owlpaw couldn't tell whether was good or bad.

Still, the main reason was that Northstar apparently decided her visions thing was a worthy excuse to make her a medicine cat apprentice.

Alright, being a medicine cat apprentice wasn't all bad. There were definitely quirks. Such as actually putting her visions to use and stuff. Then again, she could do that as a warrior too, right? But Owlpaw wanted to be a warrior like most kits. Sitting in a smelly den and sorting herbs and cobwebs was not her idea of fun. Owlpaw really wanted a change. Frostbranch was a nice mentor—experienced and wise. But Owlpaw was sure that her destiny was as a warrior.

At first, she thought she'd just have a vision about being a warrior. Then Northstar would have to make her one. Of course, it's not like she could magic up visions on her own. She could lie about it—but what good would that do? It would only make her feel sour and guilty in the end so she wasn't going to do that either.

Finally, Owlpaw realized she'd just have to prove herself somehow. Prove that her destiny was not to just heal sick cats but to actually fight in battles and hunt for the Clan.

And the thing was... Glasslake's death was the perfect thing. She could figure out who murdered the she-cat and exactly why.

And yeah, she knew she couldn't just use the death as some sort of opportunity. It wasn't like that. It wasn't like Owlpaw was glad Glasslake died. She wasn't. She was never close to Glasslake, but she had been sad.

In a way, actually, this would sort of be for Glasslake. Glasslake would have wanted Owlpaw to figure out who murdered her.

So, technically this was for her Clan.

And for Glasslake.

And maybe a little bit for herself too.

So.. it was going to be fine.

It's not like Owlpaw knew at the time that investigating this murder would be the greatest mistake she'd ever make.

"You okay?" Erminepaw asked Owlpaw one day.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Owlpaw told her sister.

"Aren't you supposed to be busy training with Frostbranch right now?"

Owlpaw shook her head. "One of the shelves collapsed and Frostbranch is fixing that right now. She says I can take a break."

"Oh."

Owlpaw stared down at her paws.

Erminepaw nudged her slightly. "It's okay to want to be a warrior."

Owlpaw struggled for words. "You don't get it, though. It's like I've been chosen for a destiny I don't want." Her shoulders sagged. "And I guess I'll be stuck with it forever."

Not forever, she reminded herself. Just until I think of a good excuse to get out of camp.

That's what she was actually doing, by the way. Not sulking. Brainstorming.