Part IV- Charade

Khushi:
Gupta mansion is buzzing tonight with happiness, music and celebration. It's one of those parties that are filled with so many people and yet you only remember a handful of them. It's for the celebration of happy 35 years of my parents. But it is also to bring us more publicity. We have an image to uphold and publicity is important. It brings more popularity, money and success. They are all important for the future of Gupta industries and for Shashi Gupta. Someday, Gupta industries is going to be mine and i will run it with the same integrity and attention to detail as my father.

In a burgundy velvet party dress with my hairs pulled to one side, i watch everyone mingle as they enjoy the mutton appetizers being circulated around holding cocktails.

I watch Mom and Dad mingling with the guests and i wait for my turn. It takes them a good 10 mimutes to get to me.

"A very happy anniversary to both of you", i hug them both

"Thank you beta", says Mom as she pats my cheek.

"We loved the surprise", says Dad

"I am glad you both are enjoying yourself", i kiss him on the cheek and leave to look for Payal.
_______________________

My father comes toward me and places his hand on the small of my back, "There you are, Khushi. I wanted to introduce you to a couple of people"

"Sure", i say as i nod toward a nearby waiter to take my glass.

Dad guides me to a group of older men. We shake hands, greet each other and exchange pleasantries as Dad introduces me as his beautiful daughter. More niceties are exchanged as they move away and few other come forward.

Then i see the most beautiful man in the world walking upto us. He was dressed in black, similar to the color of his hairs and eyes. He shakes his hands with my father.

"Congratulations on your anniversary Mr. Gupta"

He shifts his eyes toward me as i hold my tongue tightly in my mouth to keep it from running and spitting profanities at him. I remember his words even after a week but i will not disappoint my father.

His eyes linger on mine for a moment longer before he moves them toward my father.

"Maama ji and Aakash couldn't make it they are both in Mumbai working over the new project. Maama ji asked me to attend the party in his place''.

Dad chuckles, "Arnav I know you don't like social gatherings. I assumed you were forced to come here". Dad introduces him to me.

"Hello Miss. Gupta. It's a pleasure to meet you"

He moves his hand toward me while i am all lost on him and it takes me a moment to react, to reciprocate his gesture with a handshake.

My body tingles with his touch and my heart throbs in my chest.

"It's nice to meet you too", i force myself to stay.

He squeezes my hand hard prolonging the contact somehow and then lets go.
________________________

Arnav:
This party reminds me why I don't do people. Out of boredom anyway. This air is filled with nasty perfumes, fake smiles and boring conversations. I rarely do business events, let alone family events. But i was forced to be here and i hate every fucking second of it.

I grab a cognac and walk out toward the balcony. It was necessary to block out the unnecessary noise. That is why i hate these events.

The balcony is deserted and i lean against a wall, take a sip of my drink and close my eyes letting the fatigue seep into my bones.

I had not closed my eyes for more than ten seconds when i hear a rich laughter. My peace has been ruined. I totally detest the idea of one having fun at the expense of ruining other's. So typically human.

I move my legs to walk away from this place when i hear her voice and my feet involuntarily carry me. And there she is standing close to a man- slim looking with almond shaped eyes and defined cheekbones, with less than an inch of space between them gazing into each others eyes. I feel a strong sensation in my chest and an increase in my heartbeat. Palpitations. Must be the drinks.
________________________