04 | homecoming

before shu knew it, the week was over and homecoming was already looming over the yamino household

like previous school events, he was more than willing to stay home for the night, but his friends were pretty insistent this time now that they were seniors and shu couldn't exactly say no knowing this was probably the last year they could all hang out like this.

mysta told him none of them were bringing any dates because it was a "homie night", but shu knew it was secretly because they didn't want him to feel left out by bringing in people he wasn't comfortable around. nevertheless, he was still grateful for the thought.

when shu went downstairs wearing his dad's all-black suit, it took an embarrassingly long time for his mom to stop crying. even his dad, who was trying his best to calm his mother down, had the proudest smile on his face.

you would think shu won a nobel prize with the way his parents were treating him for half the night.

by the time the rest of the gang finally arrived to pick him up, his parents had calmed down enough to invite them inside for pictures. half of the pictures they took were fairly chaotic, and they all took turns wrapping their arms around each other in the traditional prom photo manner.

shu's personal favorite was the one his mom took without them knowing. mysta had said something inappropriate at the time, and vox was laughing so hard that he was hunched over trying to catch his breath. ike's eyebrows were scrunched together disapprovingly, the way they always did when one of them did something he didn't particularly like. luca had an arm around his shoulder, trying to calm him down while clearly holding himself back from laughing along, and shu was in the middle of the chaos, grinning from ear to ear.

once the shenanigans were over, everybody piled into vox's car and waved back to shu's parents until they were out of the driveway and down the highway. as always, luca's spotify playlist was on full volume, and they all sang along in a weird combination of screeching and cramped dance moves.

when they arrived and pushed the doors of the school gymnasium open, it already looked as if the night was already in full swing. the homecoming committee decked the gym in elegant blue and gold colors, with miniature street lamps lined around the room to give the illusion of a night in a town square. a chocolate fountain was set up in the middle of the gym, blocks of ice statues placed around it.

"let's go find a good table," ike piped in and within a split second, luca and mysta started racing towards the opposite side of the room. indignantly, he sighed before trudging after them. 

shu found himself rooted by the entrance, craning his neck to get a good look of the students already lingering around the bleachers.

"looking for someone?" vox mused beside him.

shu glared at him.

he made the mistake of telling his friends about the impromptu midnight drive last week and he had been regretting it ever since. they still never let him hear the end of it, continuously insisting that y/n was making a move on him.