Our word.. now their word..

Spoilers!! If you don't wanna know what happens next in the story don't read. This is your only warning.

Tws: mentions of death, coverups, lyrics changed for plot, not great parent

I DO NOT OWN THE SONG SO CREDITS GO TO THE WRITER!!!

"When I was really little, like eight or so?" Maribelle began as she gazes at her younger self. "I was playing in my father's study. I place in the house I wasn't meant to go."

She saw herself playing with her toys, not having much of a care in the world.

"My father fancied himself a king. His study was filled with elven decor." She gazes around the room for a moment then sees her younger self about to close the door to a cabinet.

"He kept a boat in a bottle on top of a shelf. And it shattered on the ground as I slammed the door."

She then saw her younger self running out in a panic, frantic to go find her mother.

"I told my mother everything... I told her I was so so sorry.."

The scene changes to her younger self weeping in front of her mother. "She told me.."

"Don't cry, when he comes tonight we can make everything okay." Her mother smiled fondly down at her. "This is all we have to say.."

The scene then cuts to her father enraged, yelling at them both asking what in the world had happened. "No we don't remember a boat in a bottle, it must've fallen off it's shelf alone."

Little Maribelle could be seen butting in for a second. "We know how much you loved it! We're so sad it's broken!"

Her mother smiled then continues. "But neither one of us was even home."

The scene cuts once more to little Maribelle talking with her mother once more. "And remember, it's our word against his."

"So I hide screw ups from my father." Maribelle smiles fondly at the memories, her translucent self still watching. "I made up school awards to please my mom. Whatever made the steak taste better." She shrugs with a soft giggle.

"Whatever kept the waters calm.." The scene changes to one of a slightly older Maribelle talking with her mother once more but there's a different, more horrified, look in her eyes. "I was told to keep their secrets, and in turn she'd keep mine."

"As I got older I got dumber. I couldn't help but cross the line..."

"Three times I nearly wrecked my life.."

"Three times I nearly came to ruin.."

"Three times I went crying to my mother, so said she's make it go away.."

"Yes this is all we had to say.."

The scene changes once more to police officers on the doorsteps of the castle, talking to Maribelle's mother. "We never owned a house in vagus. We didn't see Orpheus the day he died. We haven't been on our boat in some years now, so we don't care what you've found inside." Her mother quickly dismissed them and walked over to Maribelle's room to comfort the poor girl.

"And yes it's our word. Against theirs." The mother said as she rubbed the girls back.

"Somebody was paid to make it go away. Everyone was paid.. to make the problems go away.." Current Maribelle shook her head at her past stupidity.

The scene flashes to a lesson between her mother and her. "It doesn't matter who gets screwed or who's to blame. Or what you need to do, to clear your name. An inconvenient truth can easily be erased." She assured as she messed with the little girls hair.

"When I was twenty.. I was living in Minveri. I developed some... Fun habits.." Maribelle rolled her pale eyes. "Put my white blood cells to work."

The scene changes again but this time to one of her sitting almost unconscious in the maze of brambles. "I remember it so clearly. I was sitting in a maze Tuesday morn."

"I got teleported into his maze."

"No matter what I was always being chased."

"I had fallen and cut my hand."

The scene zooms it suddenly on her blood soaked hand, ragged breathing can be heard.

"And suddenly became aware... I couldn't keep my head, away from that light.."

Her breathing starts to slow down as the alive version of herself takes her final gasp of air.

"I took a final gasp of air.. and as I laid there helplessly.. a million different thoughts came to me. I saw my parents, hearing the news."

The scene changes again to back at the castle. A Thorn Academy representative infront of king and queen Everwood. "Your only daughter died today.." He said, his face solemn but with no remorse.

"I thought about what they might say."

Her mother was the first to speak up. "Our daughter Maribelle? No she moved to Sanaria, she's very happy there or so I hear!"

The king shok his head, not seeming like he really cared. "She's always been so godamn independent!! The years went by and I never saw her!!"

Her mother spoke up again. "Our daughter Maribelle no you must be mistaken? You mean the one I raised with my whole heart! I loved her so much it was hard to let her go!"

"But eventually you had to let her go." The king cut back in, an annoyed look in his eyes.

Maribelle's soul smiles faintly as she says her last line. "It'd be their word, only their word.. on its own.."