Howling Wind

I ran through the howling wind and it's blinding rain trying to find a solid place to land my feet. Before I knew it I was through a door that flew out at the slight pull of my arm. I began trying to pull it back into its frame so as to not mess the nice mat inside. With the helping hand of another person it closed, I laughed turning to them as we both were soaked. They look down at me, their short cut hair having water dripping down their face. They plaster a soft smile back to me perhaps out of politeness before going back to where they seem to be working. They were standing next to piles of books half my size that seemed to be unorganized. Once the sound of the wind faded from my ears I realized how quiet it was in here. Besides the humming of the lights there wasn't much noise. I took a moment to wipe my shoes so as to not leave wet shoe prints all over before taking a look around at the place I just stumbled into. From the front you'd see this place as big as a closet with its width too small, however once you open the door you realize it might be a corridor with how long it's stretched. Even now as I tried to stare in a distance I couldn't make out where it ended. Its walls were filled with books and statues, different things I've never seen before. There were tables every so often with chairs unevenly placed beside them as if it was a place to come and sit and enjoy your day. However it seemed to be me and the person who let me in as far as I could tell that was in here. I quietly walked over to a shelf looking at its books, they didn't have their titles on the sides. The book covers are made of leather of many different kinds, different shapes, and different designs. I found myself running my now semi-dry hands through the leather books enjoying the texture. The smell of the books was hard to place. They smelt of paper burning in candlelight flames but as far as I could tell there were no candle lights, just old lamps with bulbs. I flipped through a couple of pages of a book. The pages seemed fragile as the yellow tint of them was see-through. I bumped into a wooden lander which scared me as it creaked on the floor with movement in the silence. I quickly face the person who is working on the books and apologize with my eyes. In turn they just walk up to me, opening their hand towards me. I assumed asking for money just to be here, I patted my pockets and shrugged since I forgot to bring my wallet with me.
"I'm asking for your hand." They said in a deep raspy voice as if they had spoken for years.
"Right sorry" I said back in embarrassment, grabbing their hand which was warmer than I expected.
I stumbled behind them as they guided me through the hall of books. Realizing I agree to something before actually thinking it through. I wondered where they were taking me until we made it to a door. They opened it to reveal a red staircase that perhaps led to another floor of books. I expected to go up those stairs but they just stood there looking over to me as if I knew what was going on. I looked back at the stairs so as to not stare at them as long as they were staring at me. I noticed the first step was cracked in the middle and the second had crayon residue. As I looked at each step I realized how familiar it was. Not the situation I was in but the way the stairs were. They look so familiar as if I was looking back at a memory I couldn't quite place. I looked back at them and they were still staring at me. Perhaps this is what they were trying to tell me with their eyes. Perhaps I didn't stumble here but I was sent here by destiny and fate. Even though that idea sounded ridiculous it was better than nothing.
"Am I supposed to know this place?" I cautiously asked. They just frowned at me in response as if they expected me to say something else. "I'm sorry I don't know what you trying to tell me"
"What is it that you see?" They responded, which made me pause for a moment.
"Aren't those red stairs?" I question myself perhaps I was seeing things.
"Red stairs," They said back in interest.
"Do you not see red stairs?" I asked, more wary now of my surroundings. Something felt off about their response this time.
"I cannot see" They painfully said back. I stood there staring at them this time paying attention closer into their eyes. In them there were no pupils just what looked like smoke against the white of their eyes. The hair on the back of my neck stood up as I had never seen a sight like that.
"Your-" I heard my voice shake out before I could catch myself.
"Not human?" They asked back. Making me take a step back I was going to say blind but them not being human made more sense.
"What are you then?" I said trying this time not to sound so afraid.
"A siren" They said, looking away from me and back up those familiar red stairs. "You should perhaps go see what's up there."
I paused once again at their kindness. Even things that aren't human could live and find themselves a place. I shouldn't judge whatever they are before understanding their true intention.
"Why should I go up the stairs?" I asked.
They scolded their eyebrows and turned to me saying "Because didn't you lived up there?"