Lesson Fifteen

HENDRIX

"Why do I feel like there's a but coming?" Leaning my hand against the brick building, I try to fight back the urge to devour her mouth once again. Lips that tasted like drips of huckleberry with a hint of vodka. An intoxicating combo that begs me for one more taste.

"There's a lot of "buts" about this..." A few of her fingertips glide across her bottom lip as they start to curve upwards. I can't help but crack a smile, sensing she feels those same swarms inhabiting every square inch of my body. Although my face feels like a giant fucking balloon, I can't imagine anyone else making it feel less painful at this moment.

"You should really have a doctor look at this." Her soft fingers brush over my injured eye as she studies me. The golden flecks in her eyes sparkle as the moonlight lights the night.

"Do you have any recommendations, Doctor." I lean forward hoping the tell all look on my face lures her in more. I don't care about the trouble that awaits me, this moment— her—it feels so right.

"Mhmm, I might know someone, but she's a little weary of strange men." Kehlani says while blushing. Like our lips weren't fused just moments ago.

"Is that so? Does this "she" have a habit of kissing these so-called strange men?"

Kehlani giggles and her gaze falls to the ground.

Suddenly feeling light-headed, I stumble backward a little and reach for my head, rubbing it to ease the weariness.

"Are you alright?" Kehlani says, resting her hand on my bicep.

"Tonight was my first fight. I didn't expect the fucker to hit so hard." I rub my neck and feel every ache in my body scream at me like a banshee. Training for the fight was the first time I hadn't been with Master Koa. Papa, although not as bullheaded, was pretty hard on me and pushed me to lengths I hadn't been to before. I knew I had to bite my tongue and give it my all, ignoring every ache and pain because it only made me stronger.

"That was your first? I wouldn't have guessed. You looked so natural in the ring." Kehlani's compliment boosts what little ego I have left after tonight.

"If only my Papá could hear you say that." I close my eyes and rub my left temple, hearing a ring off in the distance like something ruptured inside my ear.

"I might have a plan. Come with me."

Kehlani grabs my hand and ushers me out of the dark and into the dimly lit street. Feeling like I'm caught in a daze, I look behind me like I'm afraid someone is following. Normally I'm not such a paranoid person but ever since I arrived in Hawaii I feel like I'm constantly being watched.

Fuck, things were so much easier back in California when I was a nobody. I didn't feel this terror dripping through my body like a poisonous liquid. Everywhere I go, every person I meet, the thought crosses my mind that they aren't who they say they are. Papa tries to assure me it's just a part of the game but if that's true then why didn't I feel it before? The same life hung over my head. Even if I didn't sink my teeth into the mafia part, I'm still a Vasquez by blood.

"How can you walk so fast in those heels, girl? Where are we going?" I ask, practically sprinting to keep an even pace with her, the sound of her stilettos echoing in the night.

"Let's just say this wasn't my first fight. I used to come down here in my teens and help patch up the fighters. Mostly because my sister was dating one of the regulars and I was drug along. But it was nice feeling needed when I didn't seem to fit in." Kehlani says, bringing questions to my mind. Why didn't she feel like she fit in? Perhaps we aren't so different after all because those words are ones I would repeat in my head daily growing up.