★ | 006. all we'll ever be

Book: Turning Page, Outer Banks

Chapter 6: All We'll Ever Be

Work Count: 2184

They were sitting in the car, driving down the road

They were sitting in the car, driving down the road. "I mean, it's obvious, right? A family heirloom. What better place to hide a message? He had to know it was gonna get back to me, right?" John B said.

Joel looked at him sympathetically. "Yeah. It's possible."

"It could also be possible that you're concocting wild theories to help, you know, deal with your sad feels." Pope said and Joel looked over at him with a glare.

"Bro, you know how I process my sad feels. Dank nugs and the stickiest of ickies, that's how I do it." JJ pointed out.

"I'm not concocting, okay?" John B snapped. "My dad's trying to give me a message."

Kiara sighed. "If it helps you believe, John B."

John B scoffed. "Look, I - I don't need a therapy session, okay? Look, I'm not trippin' out."

"It's okay to trip, bro, but - "

John B cut JJ off. "Look, my... my dad is missing, okay? Missing. You don't know what it's like to have the person closest to you vanish and then have no idea what happened. Just wake up every morning wondering."

"It's been almost a year." Kiara said softly.

"Hey, he could have been kidnapped. That's definitely a possibility." JJ said, trying to make him feel better.

"Yeah, could be in a Soviet sub getting interrogated by the KGB somewhere." Pope added on.

"Absolutely. Uh... or Atlantis."

"JJ." Kiara gave him a look to shut up. "Look, what do you think the message is?"

"Redfield. Redfield Lighthouse. That's my dad's favourite place." John B said.

Moments later they pulled up to the Lighthouse in question. It was closed due to the hurricane but that wasn't stopping John B. They got out and looked up at the Lighthouse.

"Right. You're gonna post up and look out for bogeys, okay?" John B said to JJ.

"Wait... Why me?"

"Because you're not coming."

"Why?" JJ asked extremely offended.

"There are independent and dependent variables. You're independent. We don't know what you'll do." Pope said.

JJ scoffed and held up his hand. "Shut up!"

"Listen to me for a second." John B said. "Pope, you stand look out with JJ. Okay? If we get split up, we meet back at JJ's house."

"I'll stay too, make sure they don't kill each other." Joel said. "Good luck." John B nodded at him before he and Kiara took off towards the Lighthouse.