Chapter 1

Sasha's POV

"I am just saying that maybe you should get back in the dating pool." Anne shrugged as I unlock the glass doors to the café.

"For the last time, I am not interested in anyone." I turned around, squinting my eyes at her. "End. Of. Discussion."

She sighed and walked around the register counter, grabbing her brown apron and tying it along with a solid red bandana on her head to keep her hair out of her face. "Okay, fine. I will drop it."

I flipped on the 'OPEN' sign. "Alright, now we are ready for business. You remember to turn the coffee machine on, right?"

"Yep," she grinned, holding up a thumbs up. "The beans are being grounded, and the coffee machine is heating up as we speak."

"Awesome! We make a pretty good team, Boonchuy!" I shot her a smile, thinking about everything we had accomplished over the course of a short time period.

Anne and I had been saving since we were freshmen in high school to buy the old coffee shop. It was our favorite hangout spot growing up, but it was shut down due to the owner's passing.

So, in the ninth grade, Anne and I create a savings account. We also made a pact to be business partners and buy the old coffee shop.

It was a lot of hard work, but we managed to raise enough money over the years. Thus, The Calamity Café was born. We decorated the place in pink, blue, and green string lights to really change things up. A lot of the coffee making equipment, we managed to get a good deal since we bought it all as a bundle.

It has been a lot of investment, but it was totally worth every penny so far!

The sensory on the door goes off, snapping me back from my memories.

"Hey guys!" I greeted a few of my regulars, the Plantar family. I approached the register, already prepared on what to press. "Let me guess, a hot black decaf coffee, a regular chai latte, and a small iced mocha cookie crumble frappe."

"You got it!" Hopediah excitedly passed me his credit card.

"I am still surprised that you can remember our order!" Polly's eyes grew large with hype.

"Oh please, you flatter me. Your all's order is really easy. I couldn't possibly forget my best customers' order." I passed Hop Pop the receipt, as I went to prepping the coffees.

I poured the decaf coffee into a to go cup, sliding a heat protective sleeve on it and setting it on the counter.

Anne was working on Sprig's chai latte. She scooped the black tea bag, tossing and drowning it in boiling water. She added a dash of cinnamon, which is Sprig's favorite, to give it extra flavor. She dumped it into a cup, handing it to Sprig.

"oOoOo!" He slurped through his straw. "This is the best one yet, Anne!" He continued to devour it down.

"Aw shucks. You are too kind!" I overheard Anne.

I added the finishing touches to Polly's iced mocha cookie crumble frappe. I even topped it with extra whip cream this time.

"Alrighty kiddo," I stepped slowly back to the register, taking precautions not to spill it. "How's it taste?" I questioned with a smile plastered on my face.

Polly gave it a look over before taking a small sip. She smacked her mouth, over exaggerating. "Hmmm." She processed, tapping her foot.

"Come on, Polly! We don't got all day!" Sprig threw his hands up, frustrated.

"Hmmm."

"Polly, these girls have other customers." Hop Pop tried to rush her by pointing at the line that had yet to form this morning.

"Ah, I'm just messing around!" Polly laughed out loud. "It is absolutely wonderful, Sasha! I love it!"

"That's great to hear!" I say as Hop Pop places a tip into mine and Anne's jar.

"Now, what do we say kids?" Hop Pop nudged at both Polly and Sprig.

"Thank you!" Polly and Sprig retort in unison.

"Thank you, girls. See you all next week." The group exits, all thrilled about their drinks.

"I love them! They are so precious. They are like my second family." Anne rambles about the Plantar family.

The Plantars were actually our first customers when we opened. They have always ordered the same thing, even then too.

The rest of the morning was fairly slow with a few odd customers here and there. Everyone that came in were regulars like Terri, Ivy and her mother, and Olivia and her girlfriend.

"I wish someone that was not one of our regulars would come in." I grumbled, putting my face in my hands. "Don't get me wrong, I love our regulars. It is just the same old same old anymore."

After the words left my mouth, the door chimed.

I glanced up, hoping for a new customer. Sure enough, a girl with a short black pixie cut walked in. They had little green clips holding their hair back, and light brown eyes. They wore a white tee with an oversized half zipped grey jacket.

I was in shock, starring at this stranger as they looked over the menu.

Anne must have noticed because she waved her hand in my face. She whispered, "Yo Sash! You gonna like, I don't know, do your job?"

I shook my head, scattering my thoughts. "Oh yeah." I began my greeting to the newbie. "Hi, welcome to The Calamity Cafe! If you have any questions about the menu, feel free to let me know."

"I actually don't drink coffee very often." The person nervously scratched the back of their neck. "What do you recommend?"

Wow, their voice is absolutely adorable.

"Depends." I glare up at the menu, back at the stranger, to my flavor bottles. "Do you like maple and vanilla?"

"Yeah!" She exclaimed.

"Alrighty," I smirked, pumping the flavors. "Would you like it iced or hot?"

"Iced please."

After getting it together, I prompted for the person to try it.

"Sooooo?" I investigated, wondering how it was.

"Mmmm!" She guzzled, they checked my name tag. "This is great, uh Sasha!"

"It was no problem, uh" I panicked not knowing this human's name.

"The name's Marcy, Marcy Wu." She politely acknowledged. "How much do I owe?"

A light flickering in my head, "You know what? It is on the house."

"Oh no no no! I couldn't possibly not pay." She pleaded.

"I insist." I winked not paying attention to my actions.

"Gee, thanks!" And then, they were gone.

Anne came up to me after the door shut. "What was that?"

I was confused, deciding to play dumb. "I don't know what you are talking about." I crossed my arms.

"Oh please." Anne raised her fingers, making air quotes. "It's on the house."

"Shut up!" I know I was blushing with the sudden heat to my face.

"Sashy has a crush! Sashy has a crush!" Anne teased and giggled.

Maybe I do.

___________________________________

Hello beautiful people!

I'm rewriting aspects of this story and might be extending it, so stay tuned!

I hope you all enjoy!

-Whit