Sticking Together

“Oh—well, ok! You uh…you can just walk like that…how the hell can you walk like that…'' It's more of a statement as Lee knows he won't get an answer, but he can’t help but to talk his mind. “Uhm, anyway, I think I know the way out of here if you still wanna get stitched up…” he watches as the alien merely cocks its head as a response. He remembers it’s only said a couple short, simple words, so maybe that's all it can understand? “Follow?” Lee asks.

The gray processes it and then nods.

“Alright…” Lee sighs, not actually thinking the beast would agree “We’re actually doing this.” He starts his brisk walk towards the east “I’m actually taking a fuckin’ alien home.”
_______________________________________

A while into their completely silent walk aside from the leaves crunching under them and the late summer night ambiance, Lee finally decides to at least try to break the silence. “So uh…name?” He asks, glancing to the side to see the gray still easily walking along.

The gray makes a few noises in contemplation, then glances up to make eye contact with Lee. Then back down at the forest floor •You will not be able to pronounce this• he mumbles in his native language. After a second, he lets out a bizarre noise that's not even translatable. It’s like how dolphins have a sound for each of their pod members. It’s not a word, it's just a bunch of sounds spoken in two voices in unison.

Lee looks at him dumbfounded. “I…cannot pronounce that.” he huffs a laugh then sighs “Mind if I call you somethin’ else? Another name?”

“Another…name.” The gray repeats. Then nods, understanding the human needs to at least have something he can pronounce.

Lee grins, glad it understood and agreed. “Alright, uh, how ‘bout,” he pauses looking around the birch forest, then back at the alien. “Birch.” He puts his hand on one of the gray scale, tall, slender trees.

The gray furrows his eyebrows “Birch?”

“Yeah, like uh…like the tree. Same colors. Tall as all get out.” he chuckles to himself.

All the gray, now named Birch, got out of that was colors and tall. He nods. “Birch. Yes.”

Lee raises his brows with satisfied downturned lips “Great! Birch it is then! Well, it was uh…Interestin' to meet you Birch.” He chuckles to himself.

Birch furrows his eyebrows, confused on why his new name is being used so much and if Lee even knows he can’t understand him. •Humans have the insatiable urge to fill silence it seems. Even if their words having no meaning to the other person• he talks to himself with a smug grin, knowing Lee hasn’t a clue what was just said.

“Well,” Lee starts with an awkward nod “I’ll assume that was somethin’ similar.”

•Sure it was,• he purs a laugh and looks up to Lee “Lee.” he speaks his name in fluent english.

Lee holds a dorky smile “Holy shit you actually said my name! Ha! Oh and you smile?” Lee chuckles “glad to see it!”

Birch stares up at Lee with sudden admiration for his goofy reactions to just his name in a string of words he can’t even understand •Are all humans this…entertaining,• “Lee?”

Lee shoots him a concerned glance “That sounded like a question. Uh..can ya do one word?” Lee asks, hoping that gets through to Birch.

Birch gives him a blank look, trying to figure out his sudden change in expression. He grumbles thoughtfully as he remembers hearing ‘one word’ and putting together what Lee could be asking for. “Lee…funny…only?” he furrows his eyebrows wondering if those words together even made sense.