What Was Once Home

As Archangel navigated through the foliage, he took in the beauty of the nature around him.

The birds chirping, the flowers blooming and the sunlight seeping through the gaps between the leaves of every tree.

The trees have started to grow less in numbers as he reached his destination, slowly letting the light from outside in..

And then Archangel found himself in a field, numerous and various flowers scattered around the area.

Ever since his kind has left him, he had longed for something to relieve him from his loneliness.

He knew he was only a tool, a meatshield, but he couldn't care.

Emptiness seemed to linger every hour of the day, due to the fact he had nothing to do but anticipate his coming death.

It was obviously going to happen the moment he sided with the constructs, all they knew was either use, recycle or throw away.

He was in both in the first and the last categories, and he hated it.

He lied down on the grass, staring at the vast blue sky above him, surrounded by the smells the flowers around him expelled.

Compared to Avaria, Earth would be the better paradise, that is if the late archangels were still breathing.

Avaria was.. Just what this field somehow resembled, just with too many clouds surrounding it.

And then they all fell, and that paradise was lost to the advance of technology as the constructs took over, building over what he once called home.

But even if that paradise were to come back, it wouldn't be the same.

You cannot bring back the dead, after all.

"Perhaps, I should have joined them.." He uttered.

He formerly joined the overlord, but after his defeat, he was thrown away to the constructs.

He saw every archangel he knew drop to the ground, sometimes one by one, and sometimes in a group.

He witnessed their last words and actions.. But what ingrained their very deaths to his mind..

Was their expressions, sure, archangels lack some facial features, but that doesn't mean he couldn't feel the emotions that they felt towards him.

Sadness. Betrayal. Anger. Grief. Shock.. They all couldn't believe he'd side with their very enemy.

Even with the battles with them, the ones where he fought with no hesitation.. They held back. They were hesitant to attack another of their kind, which the overlord used to eradicate them.

Morals do not matter to a man who knows nothing of it.

He thought he was on the higher ground for ensuring his survival, looking down on his former fellows, wondering why they prioritized pride over their lives.

Then he realized, but it was too late.

He realized that it was not their pride as a species that lead them to rebellion, but rather what they wanted to protect.

They wanted to protect what they loved, their planet, their paradise, their home.

And he, in exchange of all of it, survived, out of pure foolishness.

Even if he becomes one with history, he won't even meet them, he will be definitely cast down to the dark, flaming fires of hell, forever damned, with little to no salvation.

Maybe, just maybe, he would be let go, and he'd go on many adventures, and once he dies and goes to heaven, he'll tell many stories for them to enjoy.. But that would be just too good to be true.

He just didn't deserve anything.

And it hurt, knowing well he was the cause for his torment in the first place.

He should have sided with his kind, he should have just tried to defeat him, he should've just..

But you can't turn back time either.

"Hmm..it's time to go back, they'll suspect if I suddenly dissapeared." he stood up, gazing at the endless sky before him, feeling the gentle breeze on his face, the flowers swaying..

There is no way but forward, he thought, he can no longer undo his actions, and he will have to forever walk with it, until death takes him.

He takes a moment to clear the train of thoughts that formed in his mind, before leaving to go back to Avaria.

...

The flowers continuously sway with the winds gentle flow..

The clouds forever moving..
The universe eternally expanding..

What was done is done, and he knows it.