Chapter 5

Declan's POV

Two more weeks passed, and I was running out of excuses to try to talk to Veronica. Today, I brought a book I thought she could use for her next assignment. The book was on the list of recommended reads the University gives to the students. Did that stop me from getting my own copy to give it to her? No, it didn't.

"Veronica! Can I talk to you for a second?" I said to her when I saw her leaving the classroom.

"Sure. What is it?"

"I thought you could use this book for the next assignment, so I brought it for you." Why am I talking to her as if I was a fifteen-year-old talking to his crush?

"Ah... thanks. That's... um... really nice" she said while blushing and looking at the book. "Is this your copy?"

"Yes."

"You're giving me your own annotated copy that you studied with? Why?" The look on her face was impossible to read.

Because I like you and I want you to like me back. "I just saw it at home and thought you could use it. It's fine. I mean, it's just a book" I laughed nervously. Like a teenager. God Declan, get it together.

"Professor Rice?" Both Veronica and I turned to look at Maddison.

"Yes Maddison?"

"I'll go now, I need to get to my next class. Bye professor. Bye Maddie, see you later!"

"Yeah, can't wait for our coffee date" Maddison said, laughing and hugging Veronica briefly. "So," she said, turning to me. "I have some questions about this week's assignment and I was wondering if we could talk about it after class."

"Yes, absolutely. Are you free now? Otherwise it would have to wait until tomorrow, I have quite a busy day."

"That's fine. My next class is in an hour and a half. Should we go to your office?"

"Yes, let me pick up my things and we can walk there together" I said while packing all my stuff.

Thirty minutes later, Maddison and I had gone through every single one of her doubts. She actually reminded me of myself as a student.

"You are pretty great as a teacher, you know?" She shocked me by saying that.

"Em... thank you" I laughed.

"No, really. You actually seem to care about us learning and enjoying your class, not just about a grade. That's pretty cool."

"Thank you, Maddison. That means a lot" I said sincerely.

"I don't know what Veronica would do without you."

That picked my attention. "Veronica? Why?"

"Well, you're helping her a lot more than the others, which is fine. She really doesn't like science and has been dreading this class since she started her major. Now I can actually see her being quite confident about getting a decent grade. And feeling that she won't lose her scholarship makes her a lot more relaxed and happier. So thank you for making my friend happy, I guess" she chuckled.

I was really lost for words. Of course, they all noticed how I paid more attention to her. But I guessed if Maddison thought I was just doing it to help her keep her scholarship, maybe the rest of the class felt the same way? I need to be more careful, though. But I want to keep on making her happy.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable" Maddison said, noticing my silence.

"Oh no, you didn't. I just have a lot in my head at the moment" I lied.