chapter three

One month in the quiet apartment. I was already bored. I only cooked for myself, I didn't have anyone bustling around the apartment.

I didn't have my organized chaos.

Everyday was exactly the same now. At least Bucky and Steve made my life a rollercoaster. I've got nothing.

I silently sewed like I do every afternoon now. I usually have to hem Steve's pants so they're shorter and tighter to fit on his skinny body.

I've caught up on sewing, reading, I go and help at the shelter everyday for my job, and help package goods to ship out overseas too.

Steve has sent me a letter. He's training in New Jersey.

Dear Annie,

I miss you. I miss your stubborn ass running around the apartment barking up a storm.

Trainings okay. I'm the smallest one here. It's fine. I kinda expected it.

I hope you're doing okay. You're probably bored out of your mind now that Buck and I aren't bothering you.

For some reason I've thought about you a lot here. I don't know. Maybe the crush I've always had on you is expanding now. Did I say that?

I don't know Annie. I just don't know.

Love,
Steve

I smiled.

Crush?

Screw Bucky. He did like me.

I smiled and kept the letter. I should write him back.

Dear Steve,

Thank you for the note. I hope New Jersey is treating you well.

Crush?

I'm flattered. I hate to say it Rogers but feelings have always been mutual.

I'm doing well. Yes, I'm so damn bored. There's nothing to do. All your pants are hemmed and all of bucky's shirts are patched. Im working once in a while.

I miss you and Bucky so much. Never thought I would say that. I think I've become soft since the war started.

I hope that you stay safe.

Love,
Annie B

I folded the paper and put it in an envelope, ready to send it later.

I missed my boys so much. I really did.

Everything about them. I missed their presence. Their hugs. The way that they could make me go absolutely insane.

I hated missing them.

•••

I sat by myself, working on a quilt.

I hoped that at one point I would be less bored. I think I need friends. Female friends.

Or something. I need to feel like I wasn't as lonely as I was.

But how do I do that.