What it takes to be a Tomlinson

CHAPTER 1

You sat in your bedroom in the corner of the room, hiding from your step-dad, he was drunk again, nothing good happened when he was drunk, you heard screaming, your little brother Taj was getting it instead of you, you get up and walk out of your room, you quickly grab your brother, then lock yourself back in your room. He wasn't always like this, but something changed when your mother died, he's been unstable ever since, your cradling your brother in your arms, he's only four he shouldn't have to go through this, he's still crying into your shirt.

"It's going to be ok baby, only a couple more months, and we can get out of here" you say soothingly

"I scared, it hurts" he whimpers

"I know, I know, it's going to be ok, I love you, I'm not going to leave you"

"Promise?"

"I promise"

BANG BANG BANG

Someone was knocking on your door

"Payton open up!" Your stepdad is screaming

You had just calmed Taj down and gotten him to sleep, he was stirring, you didn't want him to wake up, so you got up and opened the door walked out and shut the door behinds you.

"What the hell do you want, I just go Taj to sleep and your waking him up"

"Don't talk to me like that, I'm your dad, show some respect!" He reels his hand back and slaps you in the face, it stings but you don't show it, you have to be strong for Taj, he needs you

"You are no father of mine! I said, what do you want?"

"I wan't to see my son"

"You can see him when your sober, come with me I'll fix you some coffee"

You grab his arm and lead him down the hall, you sit him in his chair and put on the tele. You walk into the kitchen and put on the coffee machine, keeping an eye on your stepdad. He looks likes he is about to cry, he's not always a bad guy, just when he's drunk, which is most of the time now. He just misses your mum so much it nearly kills him.

You know he's depressed but you don't know what to do, your main focus right now is Taj and his safety. The coffee is finished and you take it to him, you kiss his head and tell him to get some sleep and that he can see Taj in the morning, you walk into your room and get into bed.

You hear a knock at the window and you get up, it's your twin brother Louis, he is only just getting home now, he goes out a lot to escape your stepdad, he cops it the worst.

"Payton, are you okay?" He asks seeing the welt on your cheek, he goes to touch it but you cringe away, he sees Taj in your bed and asks "so he's drunk right? Surprise surprise. Our birthday is coming up soon, I'll get us out of here before then, us Tomlinson's have to stick together, ok? You nod in agreement, you can't wait till the day when you don't have to protect Taj from his dad

"Why do you have to leave? Your the strongest, you should protect us, we need you" you whisper

He pulls you into his arms, "I can't stay, I get hurt too much, at least he pulls back with you and Taj, I can't stay, you know that"

"Yeah, I know, I'm going to bed" you hop back into bed next to Taj and Louis gets into the top bunk.

"Goodnight, every thing will be ok. I love you, you know that right?"

"Yeah I know, I love you too" and you fall asleep.

You wake up at 6, Taj and Louis still asleep, you move Taj to the top bunk next to Louis so your stepdad doesn't get to him, Louis stirs and looks at you. "Look after our baby brother" you say and walk out of the room.