25 - Into The Twenties

The rest of the week went by and I knew I had fucked things with Ollie. I barely saw him. He was gone before I woke up and he came home as late as possible. He was avoiding me.

No more whisky ever again - ever!

I scolded myself as I got dressed after my morning shower and proceeded down the stairs for breakfast. After making a bowl of cereal and a glass of orange juice, I sat down and admired the way the beautiful early morning sun created hues of orange and pink in the sky through the patio doors. The little things in life were easier to appreciate after being locked away from it all for so long by Roman. Even when life was a little shaky, I never forgot to appreciate how lucky I was to be living it, even if I was in hiding.

I sighed as I picked up my glass of orange juice, suddenly realising what day it was. I breathed a small chuckle to myself and raised my orange juice in the air. 'Happy Birthday to me.' Turning 20 felt like the beginning of a new chapter; no longer a teen and the first year of my twenties era. Even though I was spending it alone, I was grateful that I wasn't spending it in a cell.

I gifted myself a day of laying on the sofa watching movies and eating a ton of snacks, the only way I could think to make my birthday feel slightly celebratory. I knew I could've walked into town and gotten a drink at that bar to celebrate but the truth was, I was a little afraid of bumping into Harry again incase he was someone I should be worried about.

As late afternoon came around, I was halfway through Pitch Perfect when I heard the front door open. Pausing my movie, I bolted up in my seat and immediately my guards flew up.

'Cece?' Ollie called out to me and I relaxed. He was home early. I'd expected him to avoid me a little longer.

I called back to him nervously. 'In here!'

He entered the lounge and offered me a light smile. 'Thought you might have walked into town again.'

I shook my head, feeling a little awkward. 'Just felt like relaxing today.'

He nodded slowly. 'That's not a very fun way to celebrate your birthday...'

My eyebrows flew up and my mouth dropped open. 'How the hell do you know?'

He laughed heartily and shrugged. 'I have my ways. Here...' His hand came from behind his back and he held out a wrapped gift to me. 'Happy Birthday.'

I gasped quietly and stepped forward to take it. 'Oh god, this is exactly why I didn't tell you. You totally shouldn't have!'

'Nonsense!' he cried, nudging my arm. 'Just open it.'

I tore it open and my face lit up as I held up a beautiful, satin, black dress in my hands. I pinched up the two thin spaghetti straps and the material flowed down to the floor as I admired it. It was a bralet style bust and the skirt dropped right down to my ankles with a slit right up to the waistband. 'I love it.' My voice was a whisper. 'Thank you!'

'I hope it fits,' he murmured. 'I kinda rummaged through your other clothes to check sizes but I know women's sizing can be a complicated thing so hopefully I got it right.'

'It looks like it will be okay,' I replied, pressing the dress against my body. 'If it doesn't fit, we can change it?'

'I guess but I was hoping you could wear it tonight,' he told me.

My eyes widened. 'Tonight?'

'I'm taking you out for a birthday dinner,' he said, kindly.

'Oh wow!' I gasped. 'You really don't-.'

'Shut up!' he interrupted, cackling to himself. 'I'm taking you out for a birthday dinner and I will have no objections, okay?'

I nodded slowly and watched as he smiled at me and headed out to the kitchen. Butterflies filled my stomach as I thought about him taking me out.