Shotgushing

An hour later. Your turn to ride shotgun Lily! Of course it was. Her eyes twinkled in my direction. My stomach turned. Simmi looked disappointed. I thought it was my turn today. Sarah, I wanted to show you the playlist I made! We can switch, no problem, Simmi! Sarah shook her head. No switching guys. Or my plan gets messed up. Plan??? PLAN? Which plan? That tiny smirk again. My plan of who has sat in front with me of course, what did you think, dummy? The way she said that last word tied another knot into my stomach. So softly and mockingly. I had to stop myself or I would start gushing over her. This was unacceptable.
After every piece of luggage was tucked away safely in the trunk we all found our seats in the van. I felt her eyes lingering on me but I didn't turn to her. But I did hear her soft chuckle. And it did send a shiver down my spine. Shit shit shit shit. How am I supposed to last multiple hours in this seat? But I somehow did. I put headphones in my ears and after a while I found myself lost in the music I was listening to. When I finally took out my headphones and returned to the inside of the bus it was very quiet. Sarah had turned off the radio and a look into the back told me that most of the others were sleeping or lost in their own thoughts and worlds. Without thinking I turned my eyes to Sarah. And was met with hers. The sun was shining in her face so I looked into liquid caramel before she turned back to the road. A smile curling her lips. Liquid caramel? What the fuck lily. Disgusting. I shook my head to get rid of these thoughts. What is it? Shit, you saw that? Another chuckle. Don't worry. Her voice was very low and very quiet, I almost couldn't hear her. Just go with the flow. What is that supposed to mean? Now she was really laughing. You'll see. And she took my hand. She just took my hand. And held it. And I didn't pull mine away. Why didn't I pull mine away? Do it. Pull it away!! But I didn't. So we sat there. Holding hands. Both staring through the windshield, me desperately avoiding to look at her. And when I finally did look at her she was still laughing. It was obviously just a game for her. But damn. I don't think it was one for me. So I pulled my hand away. And her grin widened. And my hand felt lonely.