Prologue

"Babe."

You pressed your eyes even more shut, sensing the trap. Your instant reaction at being called 'babe' was always to correct the man and remind him you weren't dating, which you were sure was what he planned for. You ignored the man's voice in hopes that he'd leave you alone. He had other plans and you soon felt hands shake you gently.

"Wake up. You look cute droolin' on my bed but I doubt you want to be late for your first day of class."

You shot up in alarm,"Late?!What time is it?!"

Touya chuckled, setting a plate of food on your lap,"I'm fuckin' around. Just wanted you to eat before leavin'."

You looked at him in disbelief. Somehow, you thought that with time you'd get better at telling whenever he was being dishonest but instead, he was the one learning how to make you fall for his lies each time. The only reason it didn't bother you was because he only lied whenever it came to your own good.

Looking at the plate on your lap, you shot him a quick grateful 'thanks' before stuffing your face. Touya waved you off in acknowledgment as he took a seat at the end of the bed, leaning into the wall and scrolling mindlessly on his phone. The food was delicious but you hadn't expected any less from him.

It was crazy how much Touya had changed in a span of a year. One year ago today, he could barely stand on his own. The taste of his food that melted in your mouth always served as a great reminder of how far he'd come; after all, cooking had been the method he chose to cope with during his first few months sober.

Cooking itself wasn't a passion for him and you were well aware. The first few months in which he worked to be clean, you received nothing but mockery and insults whenever you insisted he learned to cook. It was a great option: it distracted him, gave him a sense of accomplishment, and sustained him.

You smiled as you remembered the long process and shot him a teasing smile,"Did you use your quirk to cook today?"

Touya shot you a quick look of light-hearted annoyance as he flipped you off and you laughed. He didn't say it out loud but it was clear the mistakes he made at first as he learned to cook still embarrassed him. You were never genuine with your teasing though--no one could've been more proud about his sobriety than you.

As good as that sounded, it was actually quite sad. The only reason Touya ever got involved with drugs was to piss off his own father. The expectations set on him so he'd inherit his father's company were too much, abusive and neglectful of his humanity and Touya resentfully built himself the worst image so Enji would leave him alone.

It worked, too well unfortunately because in his rebellious show with drugs, Touya fell deep into a rabbithole he wouldn't have escaped from if it weren't for your help. Now that Enji learnt about Touya's sobriety, he was once again trying to set the man back onto the stressful path that started it all.

Touya's phone rang and caught your attention. His face shifted from boredom to frustration in a second as he shut it off, lightly tossing his phone to the side and you were quick to guess,"Your dad?"

He nodded.

You set your empty plate to the side and shuffled a little closer, mindful of his personal space,"He doesn't give up...look at it this way though. The fact he's calling you so much again means your sobriety is just that obvious. That's how far you've come."

Touya's face shifted as he let out an amused chuckle,"I don't need a pep-talk, babe, but thanks."

"We're not dating", you reminded him for the umpteenth time. The sentence sounded robotic with how many times you'd recited it. Touya raised an eyebrow, the cocky look you were so familiar with surfacing on his face.