Meet the Smugglers

A/N (27/03/23): Hey everyone! Just to let any future or past readers know that the OC in this story is being aged up due to the feedback I've received across fanfiction sites. Kira will be 31 at the beginning of this story, so there is still a believable age gap between her and Ellie. Please be aware this still creates a 20-year age gap between Joel and the OC. If you are comfortable reading on, thank you and I hope you enjoy this story!

Boston, 2003

Kira's hand started to ache from how tightly her mother was holding onto her, all but dragging the young girl through the corridors of Boston hospital. The lights above them flickered, as patients and staff alike raced past them, their faces pale with terror. Kira hadn't been allowed to see the news that morning. Her mother didn't want her to see the horrors on the screen. In her other hand, Kira clutched tightly at the pocketknife her mother had pushed into her palm and prayed that she wouldn't have to use the weapon. A sharp scream had her mother's steps coming to a halt, realising the shout had come from the direction they were running in.

"Mom, what was that?" Kira mumbled, looking up at her with wide eyes.

"It was nothing. Come on, in here" Her mother instructed, pushing open a door to a nearby locker room, her eyes darting around to see if anyone was inside.

She stumbled around the room for a few moments, making sure the coast was clear, before peering out of the window that was above the car park. Whatever she saw had all the colour draining from her face, scrunching her eyes shut for a moment.

"Sweetie, I need you to stay here while...hey, look at me. Look at me" Her mother exclaimed, kneeling in front of Kira, whose bottom lip had started to wobble.

"You're gonna' be okay. You just need to stay here. Keep quiet. I'll be back" Her mother told her, as Kira shook her head, vehemently.

"Don't leave me" Kira cried, desperately trying to hold onto her arm.

"I need to call my friend Marlene. There's a phone by the nurse's station. We need a way out of here" Kira's mother insisted.

"You won't come back" Kira sobbed, gripping her mother's sleeve a little tighter.

"Of course, I will. You just...you count to a hundred and I'll be back with you" Her mother stated, before she grabbed Kira's hand, opening her palm.

"...Don't let anyone in this room, Kira. Use this if you have to" Her mother continued, as Kira looked close to hyperventilating.

"M-mom..." She sobbed, terrified.

"Be brave" Her mother told her, before leaning forward to press a quick kiss to her forehead.

She was then walking toward the door, turning back to look at her daughter, who raised her hand up to give a small wave. The door was slammed shut behind her, leaving Kira in a deafening silence. That was until she heard running water coming from the showers, causing her eyes to double in size. Kira staggered back a few steps, her back hitting the door, as she grabbed at the door handle, frowning when it didn't open immediately. She tried to ram the door open with her small shoulder, managing to create a gap between the door and frame, finding a hospital bed had been placed outside the door. Kira's eyes darted back toward the showers, swearing she could hear the sound of heavy breathing.

"Mom?" She called out, in a shaky tone.

Kira jumped in fright when she saw a woman sprinting down the corridor, clutching at her face which was bleeding profusely, a snarling sound following her. Kira quietly closed the door again, and shut her eyes, deciding to do what her mother had told her.