Chapter 1

"This is our family. This is our home!"

Neteyam tried not to flinch at the sound of his mothers voice. Not once in his life had he heard her this close to tears.

"This is our family. It's about our little ones."

"I can not. You can not ask this." The kids listened as their mother walked through the room. "I cannot leave my people. I will not."

Outside the tent, Tuk lifted her head and looked at Neteyam. As he saw her eyes filled with worry, something inside the boy broke a little. Tuk was still a child. The worry in her eyes was not something she should have to bear yet. Leaning forward, he touched her head with a reassuring smile.

Tuk lay her little hand over his, giving him a weak smile, before turning to look under the walls of the tent again. As Neteyam refocused on his parents voices, he tried to ignore the sympathetic looks from Kiri and Lo'ak, who had seen how quick he had let his smile disappear, as soon as Tuk had looked away.

Inside the tent, the kids heard their mother's voice grow loud once more. "My father gave me this bow as he lay dying. He said to protect the people. You are Toruk Makto!"

"This will protect the people." Their father spoke. "Quaritch has Spider and that kid knows everything."

At the name of their friend, Neteyam, Lo'ak and Kiri looked up and to each other. They all were worrying about Spider. Never before had the sky people taken someone prisoner. With Spider, they had everything they would need to find the camp and take the clan out. Of course, the three of them knew that Spider wouldn't give them up. At least not willingly.

Still, the kids knew their father had all the right to worry. The Sky people were ready to do whatever it takes to find the clan. And Spider surely wasn't ready for what was to come. Or what might already be happening.

"He can lead them right here! If the people harbor us, they will die. Do you understand?"

Outside, the kids stiffened. They all knew to well what their father was indicating.

"Look, I got nothing. I got no plan. But I can protect this family, that I can do."

Neteyam felt the heat leave his body at sound of his father's weak voice. Looking to his siblings, he saw Kiri clasping her hand over her mouth to silence her crying. Lo'ak sat next to her, stroking her arm, while his eyes began to water again. Meanwhile, Tuk had left her spot on the ground and was now burying herself in Neteyam's arms. He slowly stroked her hair, as she began crying into his chest. Lifting her up in his arms, he stood up, nudging Lo'ak and Kiri with his foot. The two of them stood up as well, following their brother away from the tent.

--

In the evening, Neytiri went to her kids, telling them about the reached decision. The family would leave the clan and travel towards the sea, to an old friend of Jake's.

"And what about the clan?", Tuk had asked. "What will they do without dad and grandmother?"

"Tuk..." Neytiri looked at her youngest with a pitiful look. She stretched out her hands and waited until took had climbed onto her lap. "Your grandmother, she will not come with us."

"But she is family."

Neytiri inhaled a deep breath. "Yes, Tuk. Yes, she is. But she is also Tsahík. She has to stay with the clan." Hearing those words, Tuk began to cry, while her mother tried to soothe her by stroking her arms.

"Mawey, Tuk. Mawey. She will be safe here, whispered Neytiri, her voice also being dangerously close to breaking. "She will be safe, and we will see her again."