Chapter 1

"What the heck do you want me to do Catherine?"

Chloe tried to Block out the voices of her screaming parents.

She was supposed to be sleeping.
Key word: Supposed to.

It was a little hard to keep sleeping when your parents are screaming from the downstairs all night.

Sadly, she couldn't do anything about it.

Her parents refused to get a divorce saying it would ruin their lives and reputation if did so.

The reputation part might be true, but you couldn't ruin a life that's already crap, in her opinion.

She wondered what it was about this time. Maybe it was her dad that got caught cheating, or maybe her mom?

It didn't matter to her anyway. She's always been distant from them. It wasn't hard especially since she grew up feeling in second place.

All her life her parents never really cared about her, although she would really like to believe they did.

They always put their reputation first. Some would call it verbal abuse the way they talked and treated her.

'Don't embarrass us!'

'I don't care if he's mean to you! He's the son of my boss, you better treat him with respect!'

'Get all A's!'

To the outside they looked like the perfect family, but on the inside, their more messed up than anyone else.

Chloe sighed again when she heard her mother screech. Her father didn't hit her, he never hurt her. He wasn't the type to do so to begin with. But her mom could be dramatic, so if he said something offensive to her than she'll screech like it's the freaking apocalypse.

The urge to scream at them to shut up was overwhelming, but she quickly suppressed it. Her father never hit her, but her mother did time to time. Granted, she only did it when her father wasn't there.

She closed her eyes, and instead of counting sheep, she counted the number of times that she had woken up from the arguments.

That alone, caused her to drift off to sleep, not knowing that her life was about to change the next day.