Prologue/Introduction

"A Lonesome Lord" (Regency Romance), Prologue/Introduction January 22, 2023 by Gratiana Lovelace (Post #1507)
(all rights reserved by Gratiana Lovelace; copyrighted 2023); [(1) Story Cover, above left]

Illustrations: I cast my stories as I write them. So from time to time, I will illustrate my story with actors or illustrations, including: Richard Armitage as Lord Pendleton "Mac" MacKittrick, Justine Waddell as the widowed Corinne Carpenter, her son Noah Carpenter via a classic painting, Bill Peterson as Dr. Finneas Lively, and others as noted.

Author's Notes: This original Regency romance is a work of fiction, and as such, any character names, scenes, locations, or other descriptions were made at the creative discretion of this author. And this is a gentle romance (G to PG-13), but with some frank discussions about love, marriage, and Regency society put to humorous effect. This is my disclaimer.

"A Lonesome Lord", Prologue/Introduction

In his childhood, Pendleton MacKittrick had been a bit of a wild child—his longish dark slightly curly hair forever falling into his bright and mischievous eyes—whilst he roamed the countryside on his faithful horsie Lightning, climbing trees, swimming in a pond near his family's home, and such. A younger son, Mac as his friends and family called him—well, except for his parents who always addressed him as Pendleton, which was his mother's family name—he loved and admired his much older brother by 8 years Dartmouth MacKittrick, the heir. They were great friends as brothers, with Dartmouth ever watchful when his much younger brother Mac decided to tag along on his estate hiking and tree climbing adventures.

The MacKittrick's of Woodbury, England were a very close family of loving parents and children, unusual for their time and for their station in life. And their little boy Mac knew that he would have a lifelong friend in his 8 years older brother Dart, as Mac nicknamed his brother when Mac was just learning to speak as a toddler. Because, his brother's given name of Dartmouth--from their paternal grandmother's family name--was too much of a mouthful for the little 2 year old Mac to say.

Yet sadly later at the tender age of 8 years old, Lord Pendleton "Mac" MacKittrick found himself a brotherless and parentless orphan after his parents and brother were waylaid by highwaymen who stole their money, jewelry, and possessions, as his parents were returning their older son to Eton for his final year before university—and then they and their carriage driver were killed by the highwaymen. Their loss was a devastating blow to the very young Mac.

And though the young Lord Mac had kind and loving Woodbury Castle and Estate caretakers, servants, tutors, and his mother's brother in his Uncle Arthur Pendleton around him as he grew up into manhood, it was a lonely existence for him on the Woodbury Estate, more than an hour by carriage South of London, England. His grief made it difficult for him to form new relationships—his child mind wondering if he would lose them, too. Though Lord Pendleton MacKittrick is now the Earl of Woodbury, it is a title and distinction which he wishes had not come to him—due to the loss of his beloved parents and older brother Dart.

So after having private tutors at Woodbury Castle while he grew up--and then he attended university for four years studying the classics and history--Lord Mac buries himself in his responsibilities as the Earl—regarding his estates and dependents, as well as, him taking his seat in the House of Lords--since he had long ago come into his majority 9 years ago.

Now an adult of 30 years, his life is a solitary one, and he is somewhat poignantly known as the Lonesome Lord by marriage minded noble Mamas who seek to suggest their daughters as helpmate wives for him. And though Lord Mac has graciously met these charming and worthy daughters of the ton, he does not feel a connection to them. His own grief is so ever present, that he has yet to find someone who truly understands his loss. And yet, Lord Mac will meet a lovely young lady who understands and shares his loss, if only he will open himself to the possibility of forming an attachment with her.

To be continued with Chapter 01