Chapter 5. Claimed

Visenya took a deep breath in through her nose for three counts, held for two and exhaled through her chapped lips steadily for three counts before releasing her arrow. It hit the makeshift bullseye she and Brooks crafted out of ripped fabric and hay that hung around a large oak tree.

"Excellent! Your aim is improving!" Brooks smiled from the sideline.

Vinsenya grinned in reply.

The royal court was out for its annual hunting trip. And before the men took off for their first morning of hunting, Brooks and Visenya had snuck away to practice some archery.

The horns blared, signaling the hunt was about to begin. "Okay, that's enough for now. Let's get back to the camp."

"Can't I come with you?" Visenya whined.

"No, my princess. Hunting is not place for a lady."

Visenya rolled her eyes. "My mother brought in a boar on one of the royal hunting trips!"

"And she was much older than you, Visenya!"

"Please Brooks? I can ride with you, Ser Harwin or Aemond - I won't get in the way!"

Brooks sighed. He admired how stubborn she could be, but Gods be damned, she pushed him to his limits. "I'll make you a deal. If you return to your mother, stay at the camp and keep out of trouble for the rest of the day, we will practice more archery when I return tonight. Deal?"

Knowing she would not get a better offer, Visenya huffed out a 'fine.'

"Where were you?" asked Aemond, when she approached him and his horse.

"I was practicing my archery with Brooks."

Aemond nodded, as he fiddled with the button on his cloak.

"Here, let me help" Visenya giggled as her fingertips brushed passed his to help. While she focused on buttoning his cloak, she did not notice how Aemond rested his hands on her wrists. He just needed some type of contact with her. The three day journey had been long, and he and Visenya had not been able to spend any time together.

"I wish I could come with you," she whispered pulling away when she was done.

"Me too."

She wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him close, "Be safe."

He held her tight. "For you, always."

With a lonely heart, she watched as the men rode off.

***

She played with Luke until the maids took him for a nap. Then she was alone and feeling restless. Not wanting to go and sit idly around with the women of the court, Visenya wandered the woods. She was disappointed her aunt Helaena couldn't make this trip due to her being ill. The two girls had a good friendship and when she wasn't with Aemond or her brothers, Visenya was always with Helaena. If she were here at least Viseyna would have had someone to play with.