Chapter 5: Changing Tides

Cassandra Ilion POV

"Bell came by? What for?"

I just returned with Daphne after getting something to eat when Miach informed us of what happened.

"...To the dungeon?"

"Yes. It seemed awfully urgent."

Miach gazed at me when he said this, and my mind started to spin.

"Ah... the prophecy..."

I sunk to my knees, feeling helpless. 

"Orario's last flame will die out, and the world is doomed..."

"Come on, Cassandra! It's clear that they need us right now, there's no time to dawdle on your dreams!"

Daphne picked me up and put me on my feet.

"Cassandra. We need to go. Even if there's nothing we can do about the prophecy or whatever, there's still something that we can do now."

"Daphne, I-"

"So let's go!"

She took my hand and ran out, practically dragging me behind.

Bell...

When we got to the dungeon, several hundreds of adventurers were gathered. There was a lot of talk and confusion. It was probably the first time so many adventurers were gathered for one thing. Many of them were level 3 adventurers I had heard about, some even level 4 or 5. I gathered with the party I normally was with, though there were a few faces I wasn't all that familiar with. I knew they were from the Benevolent Mistress, but I couldn't match a name to a face. But more importantly...

"Where's Bell?"

"Oh, Cassandra! Have you seen him?"

Haruhime turned to look at me, clear concern in her eyes.

"No. What's all of this about?"

"Apparently the Loki Familia and Freya Familia have been defeated. I don't know what a bunch of adventurers on our level could do if they couldn't handle things, but I think an announcement is coming up here."

The prophecy...

"Everyone, listen up!"

The loud voice of none other than Tsubaki Collbrande echoed above everything else. The chatter immediately died out, and the place became eerily silent.

"We've been ordered to go to the 37th floor and meet up with the Loki Familia and the Freya Familia. Something unforeseen happened, and they haven't been able to return as planned. We've also been advised to look out for a Black Minotaur. Do not fight it at any cost. Once we meet up with them, we need to return to the surface immediately. Understand?"

"Yes!"

Despite the fear ingrained in hearing that the Loki Familia and Freya Familia were unable to return, they were still adventurers.

Roads of flesh...

Bell Cranel POV

"That sword..."

"You and I both know it well."

Truthfully, I was scared. I picked up the massive sword and faced him. What would things be like now?

He's stronger than Ottar... He's stronger than the entire Loki and Freya Familia combined. Can I beat such a thing?

"This will be the last time that you and I clash."