Episode 1-1: Kay-Oh

We're usually Carlotta's first pick when it comes to the odder cases that get funneled down our system here at headquarters, so I was surprised to hear that she'd sent someone else in our place instead.

    Carlotta Adams sits at her desk with her eyes glued to the notes she has lying flat. "Unit NEQ-13 has reported a stalemate."

    "A stalemate, ma'am?" Clyde asks. He also isn't looking at me, things are still strange between us since I witnessed his cold-blooded murder back in his hometown.

    "Yes. The agents have reported success in uncovering the truth of their case. They know what's going on and who to put in the local law enforcement's crosshairs."

    "Then we won," I say, "case closed. What's a stalemate got to do with anything? Knowledge is the ultimate power."

    She wags her finger. "Except when it's not. The stalemate means that even though the perpetrator has been revealed, the agents nor the police can bring them down."

    "Ma'am, with all due respect, I'm sure these agents have yet to try every available option. What kind of tech did they bring for their mission?" Clyde asks.

    "It all hasn't worked, Mr. Barker. I trust every agent on my roster, and I believe them when they say they tried everything with no success. The story is that this perpetrator is still in charge and there's nothing any company can do about it."

    I raise my hand. "So...why did you call us in here to tell us all that? I already know the answer, but I want to hear any suggestions you might have for this suicide mission."

    "Mr. Hearth, Mr. Barker, your unit has a history of resolving some of Ispio's more grandiose cases, and you do it with style. I'm sending you to the location with gear hand-picked by the technical department. I'm putting all my cards down with you two. Work with the police, work with anyone you think can lend a hand."

    "Carlotta, that's not very helpful."

    "Your departure is immediate. The most recent report I have is that this perp has taken the entire town hostage."

    We both stand out of our chairs. "What!?"

Rogers, Ohio: Middle of The Street

    This town is insanely tiny. There's hardly anything here aside from residential homes and maybe a single gas station. The population must be under 200. Still, the power to hold over 100 people hostage, including cops with firearms, is still baffling.

    It feels like I'm missing something. All the detective work has already been done for us. No cute crossdress disguises, no asking people for information, no clues to uncover, and no bad guys to reveal. They just want us to show up and take down the bad guy? My stomach feels queasy with the known fact that not even Ispio agents can knock him down with everything they've got.

    There's a circle of people standing on the sidewalks all looking into the center of the street. A police cruiser blocks the view where we're walking, so I don't see what they're staring at. They don't seem to be in immediate danger, but I don't think people on a normal day would just be standing on the sidewalk looking at something.

    Clyde takes the lead and inserts himself behind the police cruiser next to two cops who have their guns drawn and seem to be hiding behind their car.

    One of them jumps when Clyde pats his shoulder. "Special Agent, Clyde Barker. This is my partner, Mr. Hearth. We're here to help."

    The cop nods. "We got the call that special enforcers were coming for backup."