2

Azizah picked her luggage from the floor wiping her swollen face wincing in the process. She was beaten and thrown out of the house. She walked back to the gate knocking, calling out Chika to open the door for her but her cries were ignored. Silently she sat on the floor, her back resting against the gate.

What has she done to deserve this?

First her husband and now her mother?!

It is not her fault Al-Amin divorced her. Not literally. If only he had been the loving husband she thought he was, amma danasani keya ce.

Azizah thought of where to go at this hour of the night. It is late already and she can't go back in, she can't go to Al-Amin's house; he'll also beat her up. As large and wide as Bauchi State is Azizah doesn't know where to go. Her relatives hate her, her friends; all turned their backs on her as soon as the rumors started. The only people who care about her are her father who is out of town and her childhood best friend, Nafisa. She sat up straight, wincing from the pain of her sudden movement as she thought of her friend. She could crash at her place for some days before leaving, but...

Nafisa just got married.

Azizah's shoulders slumped down in sadness when she remembered her friend got married barely a month ago.

Nafisa has been Azizah's friend since they were in nursery school, as they grew up their friendship keeps growing. Hajja Hidaya never liked them together and kept pulling them apart, even with the huge distance put between them they always find a way back to one another.

Azizah knows that when she knocks at Nafisa's door, both her and her husband will take her in but she doesn't have the heart to disturb the newlyweds. She has one option left, an option she does not want to indulge but have to. Azizah stood up, looked at the iron gate then back to the road in despair; 'no I won't, he will find me.' She raised her hand to knock on the gate but hesitate; 'what if mommy is outside?'

"Chika," she called hesitantly, almost quietly.

"Chika,"

Chika who is on the other side of the gate watching Azizah, contemplating on whether to let her in or not perked up when she called his name. He has always had a soft spot for Azizah, she is his favorite but he can't ignore his bosses order in fear of losing his job. He opened the door a little poking his head out,

"Hajiya karama kin kiran ne?"

"Chika please let me in, kaga dare yayi kuma ba abun hawa dan Allah ka barni in shiga ciki," Azizah pleaded with tears.

"why you no go back to ya house wajen oga naki?" Chika asked.

"I can't go back, Chika,"

"Why?"

"Chika please just open the door for me, let me in,"

Chika turned around and saw the lights to Zahira's room is on and she's peeking. He knows if he let Azizah in with Zahira peeking, he will lose his job this very night so he closes the door and left.

Tears continue spilling from Azizah's eyes, she does not want to think of the only option left for her. She truly doesn't want him to find her. 'ya zanyi ne?' All of a sudden it started raining, heavily. Azizah sat on the ground with her head between her knees as the rain beats on her back without mercy. She has been in the same position for what 30 minutes, an hour or two? When she heard the gate been opened and Chika ushered her in. He guided her to his room,

"You go fit sleep here but tumoro you go leave before Hajiya babba wake up," he said to her.

Azizah looked around the small room which have a mattress at the corner and the other side of the room contains Chika's clothing.

"What about you?" She asked him.

"Me?" he points to himself, "no worry for me, I go sleep for Babangida room him no dey today na tumoro him go come bak."

After changing her wet clothes into dry ones, Azizah sat on the mattress which is luckily tidy enough for her to sleep in. Not that she minds, after all beggars can't be choosers.

×××××

"Hajiya karama, Hajiya karama!" Chika shook Azizah not so gently trying to wake her up.

Azizah woke up groggily rubbing her eyes as she sits,

"Hajiya karama tashi ki tafi gari ya waye," Chika said almost throwing her suitcase on her.

Azizah stood up stretching and yawning, simultaneously rubbing her eyes,

"Is it morning?" she asked a grumpy Chika who is trying to take her suitcase out.

"Eh, Alhaji karami har ya tafi masallaci," he answered begrudgingly.

Hearing her little brother is awake brought a smile on her face. Just like her, he is a morning person unlike their mother and Zahira.

"Chika bring back my suitcase I need to change," Azizah called after Chika who left the room with her clothes.

Chika came back with a frown on his face, "chanji kuma? Hajiya karama I no like am oo..." he voiced as he placed the bag beside her.

Azizah quickly removed her clothes, brings out an entirely black outfit to wear. A black abaya, black socks and a black burqa, completely covering herself. She left the room walking towards the gate and stopped. She turned around to look at the house one last time, her childhood house. She won't call it home because it never felt like one. The house gave her so many pain and scars with little joy, so many lessons she knows she won't forget. Azizah wiped a single tear from her eye, turned around and head for the gate. As she walked out the gate, she almost collided with her brother. Nasir stared at her in disbelieve, frowning he said;

"Anan kika kwana?"

Azizah nod her head lowering it in the process, Nasir continued,

"Where?"

"Chika's room. Dan Allah karka gayawa mommy," Azizah pleaded.

"Haba big sis, why would I tell her? This is your house as much as it is mine." He replied smiling.

Azizah smiled back, sighing "I have to go,"

"Where are you going?"

"Bansaniba Nasir, wherever the wind takes me..."

"Zizah banason ki tafi," Nasir held her hand almost tightly, rubbing circles on her skin the way he used to do whenever he is asking a favor from her, "if you leave where will you go to?"

Fresh tears brim in Azizah's eyes as she shook her head "I don't know Nasir, I don't know."

"Let me take you to my friend's house, you know his sister is fond of you and their family will take care of you. Wait for me to get my car and take you there."

"No Nasir, don't."

"Zizah just wait for me here."

"Nasir," Azizah called him as she held his elbow "I don't want you to get in trouble with mommy."

"But Zizah." Nasir called stomping his feet on the ground "what they did to you wasn't fair. They don't have the right to beat and throw you out of the house, if anyone does it should be me."

"Yet you did nothing. All you did was watch as your mother and sister beat me and throw me out of the house Nasir," Azizah sniffled as Nasir whimpered. She placed a hand atop his head "but it's not your fault, Nasir. I don't blame you. We are both weak to defend ourselves, don't blame yourself, please."

"At least let me drop you at Kabir's house."

"I don't want to bother other people with my problems, just let it be."

Nasir stood in despair as he watches his favorite sister board the adaidaita tsahu and leave. He wishes, truly wish he could help her.