II

Ilias flicked her tail as she stretched, letting the fur along her spine ripple as she did so. She flicked her ears and looked around in the dim sunlight, her eyes half-squinted. With a yawn, she stepped out into the morning and padded along the road to the prisons.

She nudged open the door, passing the guards on her way in. "Good morning Sandra, Knox."

Sandra scowled but Ilias saw the slightest lift of the corner of Knox's mouth, his usual small smile that was usually the highlight of her day, other than speaking with her father. Not many cats would smile when seeing her, quite the contrary, actually. It was nice to have that change.

++++

Polaris jumped as the bar door swung open and turned to see Fyllo walking into the bar, looking frantic. "Polaris! Hey, hi, have you seen Timber?"

"Not since he left." Polaris yawned. "Why, did you lose him?"

"He didn't come back to the care home last night and everybody's worried." Fyllo began pacing the length of the bar. "Oh, no, this is all my fault..."

"Relax." Polaris rolled his eyes. "I'll help you find him."

"Really?" The brown tom perked. "Then let's go! We have no time to waste, we have to search everywhere! Who knows what could've happened to him?"

"I'm sure Timber can take care of himself." Polaris sighed as he left the bar, following Fyllo. Oh, if he got fired for this....

"I know, but around here..." Fyllo frowned. "It's not really welcoming, you know?"

"He grew up here, remember?" Polaris rolled his eyes and sighed. "Listen, Fyllo, you need to calm down."

"I will calm down when we find Timber." Fyllo walked at a fast pace, looking around frantically. "Timber? Timber?!"

Polaris let out a sigh and followed him.

++++

Pyra pricked her ears as she heard a jeer, "Come at me, old man!"

She turned and glanced over the overhang where she sat, where a few young cats were teasing an elderly tom. The tom tried to slash at one of the mollies, but she simply leapt back and laughed. "Time slowed your reflexes?"

Pyra hissed and began descending, wings materializing on her back and releasing a considerable amount of steam from between their feathers before she landed. She peeled her lips back. "Leave him alone."

All of them paused before Pyra sent a ball of fire at what looked like the leader, letting her fire burn out right before it hit the mollie's chest. The gray mollie jumped, eyes wide, and ran off. The other cats followed close after.

Pyra turned to the old tom. "Who're you?"

"Most call me Timber." The brown tom dipped his head. "Thank you for helping me."

"Do you have somewhere to stay?" Pyra flicked an ear.

Timber blinked. "Sort of."

Pyra sighed and slipped under a nearby bush. "Come on, we can stay here until it's lighter. Most gang cats like to avoid coming out at noon."

"Thank you." Timber nodded and slipped into the bush beside her, half closing his eyes.

++++

"Timber?" Fyllo looked around, his ears pinned back. "Timber! Where are you!"

As he and Polaris passed a bush, up ahead a brown head poked out. Timber blinked over at them. "Oh, hello."

"Timber!" Fyllo blinked excitedly and ran towards Timber. Another cat slipped out of the bush, however, and despite pausing in shock seeing him running at Timber, a ball of fire appeared beside her and was hurled in Fyllo's direction. Fyllo skidded to a stop and widened his eyes, bracing for impact.

A sphere of water appeared in the fire's path, turning it into steam. Fyllo blinked and then carefully stepped towards Timber.

"Are you sone getting yourself fried?" Timber smiled and shook his head humorously. Fyllo chuckled nervously and glanced over his shoulder as he spotted the ginger she and Polaris glaring at each other. Oh no, this wasn't good...

++++

"Who are you?" The ginger mollie bristled. Polaris narrowed his eyes at her. "The better question is, who are you and what are you doing with Timber?"

The mollie was silent for a few moments before saying, "He was being picked on by some little shits."

Polaris flicked his tail. "Well, thank you for helping him, and I apologize for my idiot companion, but I don't think he should be out here for much longer."

"I'm Fyllo." The pale brown tom smiled at the mollie. "That's Polaris! We're friends."

"Are not." Polaris glared at him and flicked an ear. The mollie's whiskers twitched and she flicked her tail. "You know what, you three have fun. I have things to do."

Polaris watched as a cloud of smoke covered the she, and when it was gone, so was she. Polaris saw her nearby, but she clearly hadn't intended on disappearing as she had so he couldn't really blame her for bad form. Two wings now adorned her back and she took off, making Polaris twitch his ear in curiosity.

++++

Ilias blinked as she passed in front of her father's cell. "Hey, Dad!"

Otter, a brown tom with golden eyes, jumped and turned before smiling at Ilias. "Hello!" 

Otter wore a chain that matched his eyes with a beautiful green gem at the center of it. He pressed his paw to the glass pane at the front of the cell. He smiled. 

"How have you been?" Ilias asked, sitting down and pressing her paw against his. Otter had been put in jail since before Ilias was old enough to speak, so she had practically raised herself and was pretty good at taking care of herself anyways. Her mother had died giving birth to her.

"I'm great." Otter smiled at Ilias, who simply flicked her tail and looked away. "I've missed our visits. I got caught up the other day so I've been trying to stay away, but...I had to visit you."

"I was getting pretty lonely." Otter said sadly. "But I'm glad you stopped coming. I'd rather me be lonely then have you hurt." He let out a shaky breath and glanced over Ilias. "You look more and more like your mother every day."

Ilias smiled sadly and looked away. "I...I met a friend who helped me the other day when I was...attacked."

"Oh?" Otter blinked. "Is she nice?"

"Very." Ilias nodded. "I think I might have to go soon, though. You know how they are when I stay for too long."

"Sadly, I do." Otter sighed. "You'll visit again soon, right?"

"Of course I will, dad." Ilias pressed her forehead against the glass before she turned and left the prisons.