Prologue

"I hate you."

His words felt like a sharp knife piercing through my soul. It wasn't always like this. We used to be the 'it' couple...in some of our friends' eyes we still are. If they only knew...

"God. If I had just listened to my conscience!"

"Listen to your conscience about what?" I asked.

He looked at me, disgust written all over his face. He hissed his teeth. "It doesn't even matter. I'm already married to you. What's done is done."

I could feel my heartbeat quicken and breaths came in shallow and quick. I bit my lips to hold back the tears.

Breathe. Just breathe. Don't let that tear fall.

But I couldn't hold it in. I blinked and my eyes betrayed me. Once I started, there was no stopping. Tears came streaming down my face.

"Dammit. Don't start with the waterworks. What do you want? Sympathy?" He took a deep breath. "You know this girl at my workplace keeps telling me to give you another chance... see if you change, but frankly I feel like giving up. There's no changing you Ally."

Here we go again. This girl at his workplace....

Every time we argue, every problem we have, he brings it to this girl at his workplace. Who is she anyway? His mistress? I'm not the smartest cookie in the jar but I'm sure she's not a counselor.

"Is that what you want?" He asked, expecting me to answer.

I stared back at him. I have tuned out of the conversation a while now. He hissed his teeth and the shouting started.

"Beth-Ann! How disrespectful can one person be? I'm here talking to you, and you're not even paying attention. I have no idea why I got married to you in the first place. How stupid of me!"

And for what felt like the hundredth time this week, hot tears rolled down my cheeks.

Why did he propose to me if he didn't love me? This was not how it started. Sometimes I sit and reminisce on those blissful days...