A Letter to Ninja

(No One's POV)

The stars sparkle brightly on a decently warm January Alolan day as Hau walks down Route 1, a envelope with the sticker of Naranja Academy's logo placed on the back to hold it together. On the front, it simply has a drawing of the region Champion's favorite Pokémon... the Pokémon she has had to leave behind for her last three adventures across the various regions.

The boy's legs finally walk down the last hill, looking at where some wild grass had once been. He wasn't sure when that patch had disappeared... or was there grass there to begin with? It's hard to remember when you feel like you sometime live in parallel universes... where one year Lillie's mother gets taken over by a Nihilego, but suddenly the next year none of that ever happened. He remembers at some point, the Champion said something about both happening in different timelines...

Hau shrugs off the confusion when he arrives at the doorstep to the only house on Route 1. Now wasn't the time to debate his current reality... now was the time to get this letter to the only resident currently living in those walls. Before he could knock, a Pokémon that sparkled like the afternoon stary sky gracefully jumps off the roof and lands behind him. Turning around, the boy smiles as said Pokémon waves at him.

It was the Champions Signature Pokémon: a shiny female Greninja nicknamed Ninja.

"Alola, Ninja." Hau waved with the hand that held the envelope. "It's a letter from Yuki."

The Kalos Ninja Frog visibly smiled, happy to get another letter. After being handed the item, they bowed in thanks before hoping back on the roof, watching their trainers Alolan Rival start the walk back home.

_________

(Ninja's POV)

A few times a month, I get letters from Yuki Kazeko. She's my trainer, although we both consider each other best friends. Ever since we met in Kalos, we've done everything together... well, everything that I can possibly do...

I've only been aloud on five of her adventures. When we traveled across Kalos, Hoenn, Alola, some place called Aeos Island, and... an entirely different universe where Yuki turned into a Riolu and I was somehow a Mew reborn as a Froakie...? Don't ask, even I'm confused to this day.When Yuki wanted to go on an adventure in Kanto, I wasn't aloud to go. For some reason, they only allowed Pokémon that originated from that region (or regional variants of Kanto Pokémon.) She promised to come back and visit (which she did on multiple occasions), alongside take me to Galar when my line was approved to enter.

Barely under a year after she began her journey, Yuki decided to call instead of our usual letters... and she's never cried so hard... or sounded so hollow inside. Apparently Greninja's weren't ever going to be allowed across the boarders, which broke her heart. (Thankfully, Aura the Lucario was able to go with her. I'm glad she was able to bring along one piece of herself. It also helps that when she was summoned to Sinnoh's Past for who knows what Arceus dam reason, Aura was able to go.)

Two months ago, Yuki decided to step down from her Champion Duties in Galar in favor of going to Paldea's Naranja Academy. Again, I wasn't able to go with her... but something deep inside me is giving me the feeling that we'll be seeing each other again soon.