Chapter 5

Once the guardians, Cynder, and Spyro all got to the castle they noticed it was falling apart which meant there would be plenty of new areas for surprise attacks. "Be on guard everyone." Said Rafflesia. "Yeah yeah yeah, chill babe." Said Shade as he walked in first only to set off a trap as a huge chunk of the ceiling crashed down on top of him bruising him badly and breaking his left wing. Shade roared in pain but used his power to get out of the rubble. "Damn that hurt!" He groaned as he tried lifting his wing only for it to shoot him with searing pain. "Looks like I'm out of commission for a while." He said annoyedly. "I told you to be careful you dummy." Said Rafflesia. Since they knew there were more traps they all slowly entered. Once everyone was inside though the doors slammed shut putting all of them on high alert. As they were all in a circle ready for whatever happened next they all could've sworn they heard the guttural groans of the walking dead. Ember, hating the darkness harnessed her fire illuminating her Guardian Stripes all over her body causing them all to see they were surrounded by thousands of zombified dragon monkeys. Whatever Zafira did to revive them also corrupted them into her draconic minions.

"Spyro, Cynder, we'll clear a path for you, then you both make a run for it." Said Terrador as he and the other guardians all lunged forth into battle, well all except Shade who was using his darkness powers to locate all the hidden traps along the route Spyro and Cynder would need to take. "Alright from what I can see there are only a few low level traps, I don't see any high level ones." Said Shade as he vanished into the shadows to do sneak attacks on the monkeys. Soon they cleared the monkeys out enough that a pathway was made. "Please hurry, these dumb things won't die." Said Volteer as he had probably pumped so many joules of electricity into the zombie dragon apes he was fighting to illuminate the entire city of Warfang 3 times over. Both of them nodded and as soon as it was clear again they both booked it down the chamber that would lead to Zafira. The closer they got though the more uneasy Spyro became as if he were being overwhelmed by so much darkness and dread that he couldn't breathe.

Zafira smirked as she watched this from her perch and while they were running towards her, she decided to test out how elemental powers mixed with darkness. She began focusing on the corridor they were in and suddenly it began melting all around them as it was being melted by dark purple acidic lava. "Crud, Spyro what do we do?" Asked Cynder. "I don't know, but we better hurry." He said as his claws got singed by the lava acid. They both began running at full speed as it became harder and harder to get through without being burned as they both now had bad burns on their legs, backs, and even a few holes in their wing membranes, luckily they weren't enough to hinder flight in any way but they would hurt for a good while.