A Startling Beginning: Briar Rose Academy for the Gifted Series Book 1

.:. Kay, I think I'm going to really like this story!!!  BEWARE, this might be sad to some viewers.  I am not responsible for leakage from the eyes or nose.  Tissues are advised.... kind of. :)  Thanks for reading!  Oh and as the title does suggest, this is a fantasy story! .:.

Chapter 1

            “Are you sure that you heard her heart beat pick up?” a nasal voice asks.  A person next to me sighs.

            “I’m not so sure now,” a somewhat familiar voice says.  Where am I at?  What’s going on?  Why can’t I open my eyes?  A rapid beeping noise snatches my attention from my frantic self-questioning.

            “Her brainwaves are off the chart, and her hearts picking up,” the nasal voice says in surprise.  “Get the mother out of here, get a doctor immediately!” that nasal voice hisses.

            “No, let me be here with my daughter!  What’s happening?” that familiar stranger cries out, but they grow softer until I can’t hear them anymore.

            “Hun, are you awake?” a softer voice asks as my brain whirls around questions.  How long have I been asleep?  Why was I asleep?  “Try to squeeze my hand, okay?” the soft voice says as I feel something warm wrap around my own cold one.  I take in a deep breath and squeeze gently on the hand in front of me.  “That’s my girl, can you open your eyes now darling?” she asks again.

            I try to open them, but all I can feel is a headache coming on.  What did some loser superglue my eyelids shut?  “Come on darling, open those lovely peepers,” that voice asks again, almost goading me.  “Your family would love to see your lovely eyes again, just try to open them,” she says again.  I mentally groan at the voice.  “It’s not so easy ya’ know,” I snappily reply in my head.  I mentally sigh one more time and focus all my concentration on my eyes.  Open already, would ya. 

            I gasp as light floods through my eyes, making them sting drastically.  I blink a few times and flick my attention to a smiling, elderly doctor.  “That’s my girl, can you talk now?” she asks as I just look around the room.  I’m in a small room with no other patients; there are flowers in vases all over the place along with stuffed animals.  The door is shut, and the only other person in here with me is the female doctor.

            I open my mouth to ask a question, but I can’t remember how to talk.  Who forgets how to talk?  Apparently this girl does!  I close my mouth again and begin again, yet no words come out.  The doctor looks at me sympathetically.  “Don’t stress yourself, you’ve been out for a while now,” she says with a kind smile, sparking her brown eyes.  I close my mouth a swallow dryly.  I look over to where there’s a gallon of water in the corner.  I look from the doctor to it a few times before she finally gets it.  “Oh, you’re thirsty, aren’t you?” she asks as she quickly walks over to the water container, filling me up a Mickey Mouse cup full.

            She holds the cup to my mouth and lets me suck down the whole cup before putting it down gently on the bedside table near the lamp.  I glance around my bed and take in the machinery that I’m apparently strapped into.  “All better now?” she asks and I manage at tiny nod. 

            I open my mouth to begin talking again, and a small grunt comes out, making me smile slightly in embarrassment.  I clear my throat and begin again.  “Where-“ I manage to get croakily before my vocals cut off once again.  The doctor seems to fill in the rest of the pieces, because she replies back to me.

            “You’re at St. Avera’s.  You were in a car accident, a bad one.  You broke both your legs in three places, your spine was dislocated, and the left side of your skull shattered,” she shakes her head softly and looks up at me with big eyes of wonder.  “It still baffles me how you’re alive,” she softly as her mind races with ideas.  “Anyways, somehow, you managed to get your cell phone out and dial 911 before going unconscious.  When paramedics arrived, your heart was barely beating.  We got you into operating room immediately, mostly worrying about your shattered skull and dislocated spine.  We did the best surgery we could in your fragile stage, and it kept you alive until we could do more.  Sadly, we didn’t think you’d ever wake up, and if you did, you would have some serious brain damage, along with being immobile from the waist down,” she says while smiling sadly at me.  I sigh in relief as I wiggle my toes slightly.  So much for being immobile.