PILOT EPISODE: A CHANCE ENCOUNTER

"Come on, sweetie!" the familiar voice on the other side of the door spoke. "It's nice out! Don't you wanna go play in the sun?" he asked.

From under your lightest blanket, you huffed and burrowed yourself further beneath its pastel surface. "NO!" you snapped back, voice muffled due to your hiding space. "PLAYING IN THE RAIN'S MORE FUN!" you told.

"Wha─The RAIN??? Sweetheart, you could catch cold from that!"

"And I won't get heat stroke from the sun?"

You heard the one you were arguing with sputter and smirked to yourself triumphantly.

"T-that's different!" your current enemy tried to counter, although the tone of his voice told you that even he found his own words hard to take seriously. "Come on, [Y/n], please? You want to go collect sea shells with your papa, don't you?"

"IT'D BE FUNNER IN THE RAIN!!"

"AW, [Y/N], SWEETIE, COME ON─"

"OLIVER, HAVE YOU STILL NOT MANAGED TO GET HER OUT YET?!"

"I'M TRYING, OKAY?!"

"I'M NOT COMING OUT!" you yelled, now sitting up on your bed with your blanket wrapped around you like a burrito. "YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!!"

"Oh, but [Y/n] ..."

The world went still and your breath hitched when you felt claws as dark as the abyss leave a trail just a breath away from your neck.

"You never know when you'll see them again, right?"

The dark hand covered your mouth and dragged you into nothingness before you could scream, and then─

─you woke up to silence.

With trembling hands, you grasped hold of the jacket draped over your shoulders like a blanket to ground yourself. "A dream ..." You took a deep breath, trying to calm yourself.

"Just a dream. Nothing more."

From outside your small shelter, the cold winds of Copper-9 whistled, and you sighed.

"Time to start the day then, I guess."

━━━━━━━━ ⸙ ━━━━━━━━

Unfortunately, it was not day when you stepped outside, but rather night instead.

How lucky for you.

"Damn," you muttered, lifting your gaze to the dark sky. "I really need to start setting up an alarm for myself." You paused. "If I can do that, that is."

You contemplated going back inside your temporary shelter and just waiting the night out instead of risking getting yourself spotted by the murderous drones that just so happened to stalk this planet, but then remembered that the whole reason you were constantly on the move and seeking out different shelters in the first place was because one of said murderous drones had a habit of practically destroying everyone and everything in her path─the doors and walls you were usually hidden behind included.

So with that, you decided that you may as well take your chances. And if any of them did find you?

You'll at least get to see your dads again. Hopefully.