Midnight Flight

“Alright, so we defeated Katsurou, the warrior spirit. I hadn’t planned on that one being so tricky.” Sakura said from her spot on the couch. She was laying back against the pillows; Tomoyo and Kero next to her. The small hotel room had just enough room for a queen sized bed, a small loveseat, a coffee table and a mini fridge in a corner. The walls were covered in a dull gray wallpaper that contrasted with the maroon furniture around the room.

 “What’s left now is the one in downtown Hong Kong. Now that we are here in China it isn’t hard to sense it. From what I can tell it is a new kind of magic. One that I haven’t ever seen before; I mean it sort of resembles mine, but that is almost impossible unless Eriol is purposely causing a disturbance, which is impossible since he is in England. It seems as if Shaoran had a run with it last week, and the source was only slightly injured. It appears as if Shaoran got the bad end of the stick. He is still in the hospital from the injuries, which is why Katsurou said it was strange that he couldn’t sense him. He must be terribly injured.”

Tomoyo watched Sakura’s face as she said this, waiting for any sign of worry; but Sakura was hiding it well, and she couldn’t tell if she cared or not.

Truthfully, Sakura was having a hard time hiding the fact that she was extremely worried for Shaoran. She could sense that he was in an on and off coma-like state. His magic had healed the least of his injuries, and he was having a hard time recovering from the blows to his head. She had been suppressing the need to go see him, to give him some of her magic. Yes they were not together anymore, but no matter how many times she has tried to forget him, she would replace her feelings with anger to try and make herself get over him. It had been five years and no matter how many times she tried to force herself to hate him she never could. Her anger was at herself for letting him go, for forcing him to leave her.

“Sakura what will you do about it?” Kero asked, knocking her from her reverie.

“We shall see to it once I have a plan. Until then we are to get plenty of rest. Try to save your magic; you will want all of it if we are to defeat this thing. I need a little more time to riddle out where it came from. Now let’s get some sleep.”

Sakura lay in her bed, waiting for Tomoyo and Kero’s breathing to slip into a rhythmic pattern before she made her move. Quietly, Sakura slipped from the bed, tied sneakers onto her feet, and zipped her jacket up to her chin. She tip-toed across the room to the window, flipped the latch and slipped into the windowsill.  She glanced back into the room at the sleeping figures, Tomoyo lay on her side, her dark hair splayed out behind her and Kero lay on his back on the couch, drool hanging from his mouth.

She muttered a quiet, “Be safe.” Before she shut the window behind her and flew off into the night.

She arrived at the hospital faster than she had intended, she had been nervous and had flown faster than necessary. She waited until it was safe and landed in a patch of bushes near the entrance. With fumbling fingers she put the key back around her neck and stowed her cards back into the pouch hanging from her bag and slipped from the safety of the bushes onto the pathway; the puncture in her side was not fully healed yet but she sucked it up and limped through the doors of the hospital.

She entered the large building and came up to the receptionist desk. A nurse sat behind the counter, a phone up to her ear.

“Yes, ma’am, the master still hasn’t recovered. He woke briefly around two o’clock and said a name, but then he returned to his comatose state.” She paused and listened for a minute before answering, “I believe it was Sakura. Yes, quite certain.” The blood drained from Sakura’s face, their plane landed in China at two. Even in a coma he could tell I was here?

The nurse hung up the phone and looked up at Sakura, a smile on her face.

“How may I help you?” Sakura cleared her throat,

“I was wondering if Shaoran Li was in this Hospital.” She knew what she would say before she replied.

“Yes, are you a family member or a friend?”

“I’m,” she paused and took a deep breath, “I’m a friend”

“I’m sorry, friend’s visiting hours are over, but if you come back at ten tomorrow you can come see him. If you were a member of the Li family then of course I wouldn’t be able to refuse you, but you are just a friend. I am really sorry. You must have come a long way, most of his friends and family got here last week to visit him. What is your name? So I can let the other nurses know you have been here before.”

Dejected, Sakura replied, “I’m Sakura Kinomoto.”  The nurse stared at Sakura, her mouth half-open.

“You’re Sakura?” She asked hesitantly. Sakura only nodded her eyes downcast.

“You can definitely go up.  The mistress said that if you stopped by to send you straight up. I’m sorry for holding you for so long. He is in room 310; you can use the elevator and go see him now.” Sakura thanked her and immediately ran to the elevator the pain in her side lessening at the thought of seeing him.

Once the doors were shut Sakura had to calm her breathing. Shaoran had sensed her; he had said her name from his coma. The doors opened and Sakura quickly stepped out to let a few of the doctors into the elevator, they gave her skeptical looks but said nothing as she stopped outside room 310. She stared at the name on the door, gathering her courage. She took a deep breath, put her hand on the handle and entered the room.