CHAPTER 1: When Will My Life Begin?

Klay jolted upright from her bed once she saw a glimpse of the outside world from her window. She was eager to be up before the sun rises today, not even sure if she was able to get enough sleep from last night.

She stretched out her body as she stood up and walked to her bookshelf where her beloved Ali was sleeping soundly. She cradled the snake into her arms, the little reptile seemingly shocked by the sudden movement. Ali looked at her incredulously and Klay just giggled.

"I know, I know. It was never fun to be awake this early." She teased, and the little snake just seemed to roll its eyes at her.

Klay walked to her window, opened the wooden sills, and looked up at the sky. The first purple and pink lines are seeping into the sky.

And soon, purple turned to pink and into gold and oranges. Painting the sky with a glowing aura. Ethereal. She said in her mind. The most magical thing she has ever seen. Well, one of them. She guesses?

She sighed. She can't help but feel a bit of her joy vanish for a while. It has been difficult growing up alone, in a tower in the middle of the woods. Feeling... trapped.

Trapped? Sheltered? Protected? That is what her mother Isabel pointed out ever since she was little. Her whole life basically revolves around the corners of the tower. She knows every room inside the tower, from the kitchen, bathroom, and her little art room. Basically, every corner. Well, except for the door that leads outside the tower, which was locked from the outside, and only her mother Isabel has the key.

Her window is also way up high, so going through there is basically a no-go. And honestly, she does not really have any plans on going outside. She has everything she needs right here, on their tower. With her mother Isabel. She was kept here to keep herself safe from those savages that only want to do her harm. So why would she want to leave, right?

But as the years go by, and as the purple, pink, and gold lines paint the skies, there's this feeling in her heart that wants to see what is out there. Because if something as magical as that is out there, what other beautiful could exist out there? Maybe, just maybe, she will also be able to see those magical lanterns that she always watches floating in the sky only on her birthdays.

Wait.. Birthday?!

Oh my! Today is that day! She squealed, waking the little reptile on her arm. She waited for this moment to come! And this time around, she will ask her Mother Isabel if she can go see the lanterns she has been dreaming about.

"Klaaaay? Anak, tulungan mo akong ipasok itong mga pinamili ko sa bayan", sigaw ng kanyang ina na si Isabel. Excited na tumayo mula sa pag kakaupo si Klay sakanyang kama, at minadaling puntahan ang ina sa nag iisang bintana na mayroon sa tore nila. Kasabay nito ay kanyang iniladlad ang isang makapal at mahabang lubid na mag sisilbing gabay ni Mother Isabel sa kanyang pag akyat. 'Di rin naman talaga ma-gets ni Klay paano niya nagagawang iangat at buhatin ang ina sa tanang buhay niya. Ngunit eto lamang ang tanging makakapag akyat manaog sa kanyang ina, kaya wala naman siyang reklamo rito.

Klay seems agitated. Or excited? She is feeling all sorts of emotions right now, especially since she is going to ask Mother Isabel today kung pwede na ba siyang makalabas.

"Dios mio, napakainit ngayon sa labas. Mabuti na lamang at nakauwi rin ako." Aniya ni Isabel.

Klay didn't immediately respond. Despite her attempts to ignore them, daydreams of the outside world had swept her away. Her mother's voice was a rude yank back down to reality. Mother Isabel noticed the wistful look on Klay's face as her daughter gazed out at the fading gold tones of the sunrise. Mother Isabel frowned and clucked her tongue sharply.