Or Lovers?

The castle would never know peace like before. Each day became a battle for attention, with every suitor pursuing the princess. The gifts came first, thrown at Amora like an avalanche. She ended up throwing everything away apart from the fur shoulder blanket of the man with auburn hair.

When she used the castle grounds to practice her horse riding, the men would help her ascend onto the saddle. When she ate in the grand hall, the men would offer her every scrap they got, and the question of her satisfaction would never be left unsaid. And when the princess played her vielle in the boudoir, the men would praise every stroke of every string.

Outside the privacy of night, no suitor ever left her side. Except for two. The man with auburn hair did not seek the princess' attention, only ever talking to her when an opportunity arose, and never pursuing her on his own. And also, Jody.

The lady in disguise kept her distance from suitors and princess Amora alike. Scared that her guise would be discovered, she did naught but watch. As the princess got doted on by many men, she could only stand by from the side and admire Amora in her own manner.

But fear crept into Jody's mind. She feared that after any act of allure, the princess might turn smitten. She feared her beloved would forever leave her side. She feared becoming unwanted in Amora's eyes. She feared for her love to stay unrequited.

In the farmer's mind, she felt that she was falling behind. All the other men had chances to show their affection. She did not. In her mind, she needed to charm the princess as they did. In her mind, she had to be like those doting suitors.

Then, on one cold day, the princess demanded privacy from the entire castle. No man would enter the boudoir while she read, or their sword hand shall be cut off and fed back at dinner.

Jody used this chance to be alone with Amora. She snuck into the boudoir, making sure no one had seen her.

The princess wore an irate rage on her face—before she saw who had entered.

"Lord, I was about to throw this book at your face," grumbled Amora.

"Lucky me your aim's awful."

The young lady closed her thick book and feigned a throw. Jody jerked away and covered her face, to the cackling delight of the princess.

"Take a seat, we can be alone for a while." And then Amora returned to reading.

The farmer, shaking like an anxious goat, went up to the princess and began giving her a massage. The young lady hummed, seeming surprised and perplexed.

"You are beautiful as always." Jody's compliment came out stilted. She lacked the grace to properly convey her adoration.

"What?"

"Please, let me comfort your highness—it would honor me." Her voice had fully succumbed to the suitor's curse of pandering.

The princess shot up from her chair. Anger painted her face and she looked at the farmer with deep disappointment.

"Not you too," groaned Amora. "Got enough of a headache from those little... rats pestering my ears—don't you start nagging at me too."

She crashed down into a chair on the other side of the room. A stool, a small table, and a footrest stood between them.

"I'm tired of all this 'flattery', as if I can't handle anything myself. Here I thought at least you'd be different." The princess' words bled out of her, from a wound deep within her.

"I'm sorry."

"And why're you acting like this all of a sudden?"

"I wanted to impress you, and make you feel... charmed."