One or the Other

They say a lady in love can be seen and heard from any distance, as long as you hold no affection of your own. Unfortunately, the king adored his daughter to no end, so all he saw was his beautiful girl prancing about, riding off into the woods, reading well into the night, braiding her hair another style every morning, laughing more than she ever did, and thought nothing of it. His daftness certainly didn't help.

Meanwhile, most suitors still tried to woo her, unaware that their pleas bounced right off the princess' walls. Her mind gave them no drop of acknowledgement, apart from mandatory pleasantries.

The only eyes she could meet were Jody's. The only smile she could give was for Jody. The only company she craved was Jody. And the only person who could warm her side was Jody.

To imply that princess Amora was obsessed with her new consort would be a downplay of insulting extent to the lord.

When they were together, she wanted time to hold that moment still forever. When they were apart, she wanted the hours to dwindle away like summer snow. Sadly, time never listened to human whims.

One night, Jody lay in the princess' bed, holding Amora in her arms, curled around her beloved. The farmer grazed through hairs of bronze, a gesture that always calmed the young lady's mind.

"Have you discussed the idea with him?" went Jody.

"I know what he'll say," grieved Amora. "He wants me to have kids and start a family. He adamantly believes a man is my happiness."

"Don't you have a say as princess?"

"Hardly," scoffed the royalty. "Not over my father anyway."

Amora escaped out of the grasp and took lead over her bedmate. She could have surprising strength when it came to her desires.

"Come on. Leave that be for now."

"Amy." The farmer stayed stern. "Are you going to try and convince him?"

"Urgh." The princess' playful mood soured immediately. She sat away on the other side of the mattress.

"It's.... The end of the month isn't far off," reminded Jody. "I want to know whether you'll talk with him."

"Why are you so behind this all of a sudden?" barked Amora. "I thought you were fine with what you could get?"

"Yes." The farmer took the princess' hand. "Yet still, I would naturally love to be with you more." She saw those anxious eyes and her heart ached. "Although... I must admit." Her head went down with a sullen air. "I have become greedy, and now I want to keep you forever. Do... do you want to stay with me, forever?"

Amora leaned into an embrace.

"Of course."

"Then why don't you want to try for us? Am I not worth the effort?" A deep wound cut across Jody's voice.

"Don't put it like that."

"Then why won't you confront your father?"

"It's not that easy." Amora pulled away from the farmer's hand.

"What will you do then?"

"I cannot simply confront my father." She wrapped her arms around herself, trying to keep her body composed.

"Why not? Would you rather not try at all?"

The princess got up and faced the window, away from the bed.

"I'd appreciate you staying out of my family affairs."

The farmer likewise turned away on the bed.

"So I'm not worth it after all."