III ~ Lake Truth

She calmly walked through the corridors, she was in a hurry but definitely did not show it, after all, she was supposed to set an example for the rest of the watchers. She had seen the detective and police chief talking about something at lunch, she hoped they would share their theories. She took a right turn and walked to a set of wood and paper doors, she slid one of them revealing a room with bright lights and a big table on which were set trays with some of the finds, there was a box of gloves on a far side of the table and a fridge in the corner of the room. She assumed the fridge contained the biological matter the detective had found.

She stepped into the room noticing a figure slouched against one of the walls, she was hurriedly writing something down on a note pad, her face was emotionless - which seemed odd as Arrow always saw her with either a cheeky smile or a wondering frown.

"Hello, I didn't mean to interrupt your work. I just got a bit curious and wanted to ask some questions."

The police chief jumped, she had clearly not seen her enter and had been startled. As she realised who it was she quickly fixed her face and cleared her throat, her hands instinctively trying to smooth out her shirt and tie.

"Ah yeah- sorry I didn't see ya there, uh.. what did you want to know about?"

"Your thoughts on what happened."

"Ah right yeah, well... I was just discussing it with Al... I uh, y'know, we've still not really put together any big conclusions but, I can tell you about some of the ideas we've got so far?"

"Go ahead."

She closed the door behind her and walked closer to Warden.

"Well, first of all there's all the soot and ash and stuff, fire most likely - I'm pretty sure we ruled out an explosion. Uh, the fire probably took place either before or while the destruction of the communication center. As to how the centre was destroyed... I think cake monsters were involved but Al says that there was someone - or something - that planned the attack, he said 'we're dealing with something much more sinister'."

"I see..."

She looked over at the table.

"Um... There is a thing or two that we're still having trouble with, but honestly I think he's overthinking it a bit-"

"What 'things' may I ask?"

"Uh well, for an example - we found these scratch marks on some wood and he thinks it was done by something cookie-like, I say it's a cake brute. I mean, y'know, they do have more cookie looking hands so it makes sense to me but he keeps going on and on about how cake brutes have wider hands and therefore the scratches would look different. Well obviously that doesn't make sense tho now does it? Heh- surely a human wouldn't leave scratch marks that deep right?"

Arrow slowly nodded in agreement, she carefully took in each word said, realising and interesting pattern in her words.

"Are you alright chief? You repeat certain phrases a lot and you seem to have trouble explaining your opinions. If I am making you uncomfortable please do tell."

"Oh- no no I'm fine, I uh, didn't realise I was talking like that- I just, y'know I'm kinda excited but also kinda frustrated I guess. Also just call me Warden."

She made a mental note to call her Warden from now on.

"What are you frustrated about?"
Warden didn't answer, instead she just shrugged her arms. She chuckled apologetically.

"Sorry, I know I'm asking a lot of questions, I - I had a couple of friends... That worked in the centre."

The mood of the room shifted. The chief looked at her with a slightly worried look.