Chapter 27.

CHAPTER 27: the dinner

vote and comment

A celebration dinner—which they had said would be low-key—was being done for the charity ball that took place

A celebration dinner—which they had said would be low-key—was being done for the charity ball that took place. Owen and Brielle were adamant that I attended so most of my Friday evening was spent coming home from my morning shift just about an hour prior.

I had piled into the shower to get rid of whatever greasy smell attached itself to my clothes freshened up to attend.

My cats clambered on top of one another like they were in a WWE match yet most of my focus remained on piecing together an outfit so that I'd look at least a bit presentable when I got there. Because believe it or not, I still have an image to maintain the Harringtons and most of them would be attending.

They seemed like the best of the bunch, the best people for Michael to grow up around. He must be damn glad he grew up in the same generation as them otherwise he'd be struggling a lot more than he'd like to admit.

The heat was practically disgusting, the news never shutting up about it being the hottest summer on record since ten years ago. It was sweltering and humid; I felt sticky and I wasn't even sticky and don't even get me started on the way the humidity's affecting my curls. But I powered through it—through the pressure—and I tried to keep whatever sanity I had left to get ready.

The dress I'd picked out this time was the first one I saw in my wardrobe, not wanting the hassle of having to reorganise everything after I'd chaotically piled it onto my bed. It was a white off-the-shoulder dress that went to about my calves, the same one I wore to my graduation. It was floral, a pattern matching the real thing in a vase on my dining table. I figured I'd stick to a summery theme.

I'd finished my makeup and even let Ziggy and Stripe experience it for themselves by collecting one of my brushes, cleaning off any excess makeup and brushing it over their heads, "don't you two look so pretty?"

This is what I actually thought animal testing was growing up.

"You two behave whilst I'm gone, okay? Don't get up to any trouble," I retorted to them, but my words likely fell on deaf ears as the two busily tumbled around on my hardwood floors. Shaking my head, I simply let them continue their battle despite the fact Stripe always wins. Literally. Every. Single. Time. And Ziggy just can't let it go.

It was safe to say that Brielle was a chaotic driver and a woman who's mastered the art of multi-tasking. She's never driven whilst on her phone or anything—no, no, she was just as excitable driving as she is not driving. Did I trust her to drive? Of course, but was I scared to let her drive? Oh, one-hundred percent.

Yet we managed to arrive in what I was hoping was in one piece. From the driveway, I could see the kitchen area bustling with people moving around the room, collecting drinks or dropping off jackets before sprinting back outside with the others. Brielle ushered me inside as quick as she could, taking the bottle of wine if brought with me into the kitchen and placing it down with a few others. Housewarming gifts, I thought, recognising the high-end brands of these drinks. I suddenly felt tedious bringing the bottle. I'd forgotten most people here are able to afford the good stuff.