18: Misunderstanding

Hashirama gathered the Konoha Council in his office to discuss the meeting with Kumo before they met with the clan heads. Tobirama stood beside him while Sakura and Madara stood on the other side of the desk.

"As I said in the letter, we have reached a tentative truce with Kumo," Hashirama said. "Anytime our shinobi cross into each other's lands without notification and approval, it will be considered an act of aggression."

Sakura could see the disappointment in his eyes. She knew that if she'd been able to see Naruto become the Hokage, he'd be a lot like Hashirama. Any kind of conflict between nations would make him upset. Tobirama went on to explain how they had met for three days, talking around the issue of the Gold and Silver Brothers and their party, until it came to the point they couldn't avoid it any longer.

"We told them we found the three shinobi and that they were survivors from the Nine-Tails attack," Tobirama said. "We also gave them back the tools, except the fan."

"They seemed satisfied," Hashirama told them with a sigh. "But I doubt it'll last long."

"I don't believe they'll keep their word," Madara said with a scoff.

"Neither do I," Tobirama agreed. "We need to ensure that our borders are patrolled and protected, and our training is intensified."

There was a murmur of agreement from Madara and Hashirama.

"That reminds me of something," Sakura said with a frown.

They turned to her.

"Are you implementing ANBU?"

She looked at each of them.

"Why?" Hashirama asked after a moment, leaning back in his chair.

She took a breath. They were. "You didn't think to inform me?" She asked annoyed. "You realise that ANBU training is intensive and any injuries are usually extreme?"

Tobirama sighed.

"We haven't yet officially formed it. We're merely observing the capabilities of the prospective shinobi."

Sakura narrowed her eyes. "Well. One of them ended up in surgery, so I would suggest that you treat me like an equal on the council, and inform me of decisions like this in the future so I can prepare my medics accordingly."

A short silence and then Hashirama nodded. "Of course. Our apologies."

Sakura deflated a little and stepped back.

"I heard you had an interesting evening with the Shimura," Hashirama said to her with a raised eyebrow.

Sakura rolled her eyes. "You've been back one day and you already heard?"

"Shikaru keeps me informed."

"I was disrespected and reacted accordingly. It's not my fault the guy underestimated me, and anyway, Hikari was more than capable of healing him."

She shrugged. Madara was the only one who looked more amused than tired and concerned. She'd already told him what happened, and his own dislike of the Shimura placed him firmly on her side of the disagreement.

"Just be careful," Tobirama said to her. "Politics is not your strong suit."

Sakura gave him a look and Hashirama gave a low chuckle.

"If you don't need me, I have patients to tend to. If something happens with the clan leaders, just tell me later," Sakura said to the Hokage.

Hashirama nodded, dismissing her. Sakura smiled at him.